Not around for awhile

Options
maria09
maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
edited 1. May 2013, 12:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I'm just popping in for a quick update
At present I'm staying in hospital with my daughter who is having a really bad flare up of her ulcerative colitis
She's on I'V hydrocortisone and could be on it for 5-7 days
As she is absolutely petrified of hospitals especially after her first experience 9 months ago when condition was first diagnosed she had such a dreadful time with uncaring nurses and jobs worth staff where they said I could not stay with her even when having three units of blood overnight!!! Wouldn't even let her stay with her during the day only at visiting it was appalling really I want in a fit state myself as many of you know.
The staff on this ward are absolutely fantastic kind caring and have great empathy for my daughter they are wonderful I have my own little bed in her room and can stay all the time which is a great help to us all
I'm not stressed out coz I'm with her and her stress levels although high are easily resolved
How can two wards exactly the same and opposite each other be so different?
Must sign off going for a bath then heading back
Maria

Comments

• ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Maria,
    Oh your poor daughter, but I am pleased that you can stay with her this time. what a horrible experience for her the first time round.
    Glad to hear that you are both doing a lot better this time, hospitals can be very scary places but hopefully the treatment will get her back on track and fingers crossed she will be home sooner that you think.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Maria

Sorry to hear about your daughter, you seem to find that a lot in hospitals different rules from one ward to the next, at least this ward is letting you stay this time, hopefully the wee one will be more assured with you being there, hope she gets home soon.................tc.............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    (((Hugs))) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • maria09
    Options
    Thank you all for you replies
    Its a lovely ward i just feel more relaxed her so im able to help her calm her down without getting stressed out
    keep well
    Maria
  • wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    Options
    hope your daughter gets better soon ,my daughter is a staff nurse and i can assure you there isnt two wards the same she is on the bank and works in many wards ,its them that were born nurses and never went to uni or were part of the teams of friends striving to get to the goal ,my daughter said when students come in they are treated like something you stood on ,i said well i hope you remember that when your time comes for students and not have them dreading their day in a ward ,im glad you have nice staff now it really helps and hopefully it will make your daughter feel at ease and she will recover quickly with less stress around her ,thinking about you both x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Maria I am so sorry your daughter is suffering like this....but so glad you are both being looked after....what a difference that must make .
    I do hope she feels better very soon it is such a nasty thing..and please look after yourself in all this...sending you both some hugs..((((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Maria

Nursing is a hard job but like any job you always find there is the ones who give a dam and ones who don't. It was unfortunate that you first of all discovered the first but its great now that you can be with your daughter, which will be cutting both your stress levels hugely? I would make a complaint about the first however as it shouldn't be so black and white in one hospital but main thing is the two of you have each other..

Keep you chin up and your daughter's, sounds a horrible condition to deal with...

Elainexx
    maria09 wrote:
    Hi
    I'm just popping in for a quick update
    At present I'm staying in hospital with my daughter who is having a really bad flare up of her ulcerative colitis
    She's on I'V hydrocortisone and could be on it for 5-7 days
    As she is absolutely petrified of hospitals especially after her first experience 9 months ago when condition was first diagnosed she had such a dreadful time with uncaring nurses and jobs worth staff where they said I could not stay with her even when having three units of blood overnight!!! Wouldn't even let her stay with her during the day only at visiting it was appalling really I want in a fit state myself as many of you know.
    The staff on this ward are absolutely fantastic kind caring and have great empathy for my daughter they are wonderful I have my own little bed in her room and can stay all the time which is a great help to us all
    I'm not stressed out coz I'm with her and her stress levels although high are easily resolved
    How can two wards exactly the same and opposite each other be so different?
    Must sign off going for a bath then heading back
    Maria
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    I to, hope your daughter starts feeling better very very soon. Poor thing, shouldn't have to go through this should she.

Sending loads of hugs to you all. ((()))
    Karen xx
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    I just wanted to send good vibes and hope your Daughter gets better soon and gets discharged. It's great that you're in a ward now that is much better and causing a bit less stress in a really stressful time. Look after yourself as well Maria.
    R.
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi
    Back home safe and sound
    Daughter managed her stay in hospital thanks to the great staff and consultant who treat my daughter with compassion and great sensitivity regarding her intense fear of hospitals a far cry from previous ward
    Think it helped the staff too as I was able to keep my daughter calm and carry out certain proceedures so the nurses could get on with their other jobs
    As a thank we turned up with cupcakes which were greatly received
    I also sent an email to PALs explaining how wonderful the ward was saying it was a far cry from previous admission to ward from hell!
    As for me it's taken it's toll on me and I'm in a major flare up with every single joint hurting so TLC time for me! I've spent most of day in bed sleeping
    Hope you are all well
    Take care
    Maria