Therapeutic horse riding

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 28. Apr 2013, 17:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Firstly, 18 days and then year 2 will be done and dusted! :D

Secondly, I've been researching horse riding therapy. I need to have something apart from my degree, placement and work and I need to strengthen my muscles. I want something different, something fun and something that will benefit me physically too. Getting a dog was really therapeutic for me and I figured I might benefit from horse riding therapy too. There's a local riding school that's inclusive for those with disabilities, so I imagine they'd be able to cope with my requirements.

I was wondering if anyone here had considered it, knew anything about it or just generally wanted to comment on my possible crazy idea. :lol:

Comments

• ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Starburst,
    Well I think that is a great idea. Go for it and let us know how you get on.
    Congratulations on finishing your 2nd year for your degree you have worked so hard so well done you! :D
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Starburst, firstly well done for getting through year two, horse riding I think is a great idea, I am thinking though would it maybe be better to talk to someone first, a physio perhaps just in case the movement of the horse maybe affect the joints, there would be no harm in asking................tc..........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Well done on Year 2, Sophie, despite your many difficulties.

As for riding - go for it. I did RDA for about 10 years. When I started I had two TKRs and a THR, I had a short break before and after the second THR and only gave up after my knee revision as my surgeon wasn't happy about the greater risks with a long implant and bone grafts.

Riding is great exercise for core muscles (and others too). Adaptions can be made. I had adapted reins for better grip and rarely used stirrups. Sometimes I used a fleece instead of a saddle - think bareback with added warmth!

RDA will require a doc or physio to say that it won't be detrimental to your health.

I loved it. I always came home with a huge sense of achievement. Go for it, girl. If you don't try you'll never know.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Options
    unsure - it might be worth ringing and asking. They might be able to offer a private adult lesson.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,926
    Options
    Hello Starburst
    i think if the doctor says yes have a go. i rode horses for over 30 years my sister and i have c palsy we taught disabled to ride on sundays it was lovely we had 17 horses. i'm too old now but i have the memories.
    good luck
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Unsure wrote:
    unsure - it might be worth ringing and asking. They might be able to offer a private adult lesson.

Sent an email, not had a reply yet though.

RDA groups are often run on a shoestring by volunteers only and websites and emails sometimes come a fair way down the list of priorities. I suggest you give it a few days and, if no-one gets back to you, contact the chairperson of that Region, preferably by phone, for advice.
    Steven Wright
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I did my degree dissertation on The Therapeutic Effects of Riding For the Disabled and my results showed great results in term of both social and physiological impacts. However, it is always best to ask for advice but remember it is ultimately YOUR decision not theirs - medics can be very cautious. I hope you have a great time if you do decide to give it a go and let us know what happens :D
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Thank you for the positive response, everyone! Once this year is done and dusted, I'll start seriously looking into it.

Hope everyone has enjoyed the sunshine today! :D
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Well done on getting to the end of year 2- shows real grit and determination. The riding sounds like fun-hoope it works out for you.

Deb x
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Hi,

I've got a horse, considered selling him when first diagnosed but so glad I didn't. Riding and generally caring for him is keeping me active. Also, he listens to me whinging and moaning without getting bored. Go for it, it's fab