Ouch, new knee shows who's the boss.

barry2013
barry2013 Member Posts: 151
edited 24. Apr 2013, 02:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Had busy day yesterday, went to the gym for my first session, did an hours programme, back home did quite a bit of digging in my new allotment. Knee shouted enough is enough, spent evening with ice packs on knee, will I ever learn :?: Going to have an easy day today.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    :lol::lol: No, we do not learn! In the end we find out who is boss and it is not us! I have overdone it in the garden too and my lower back is creating something horrid. ;)

Best take it easy today, but will you? ;)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Barry like Elna says they will always be the boss...but we are all guilty of overdoing things....at least you got some jobs done...but please take it easy...till next time....x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    What you like? Its not been 4 or 5 months yet has it? But we do learn by our mistakes, it is new but it isn't ever as good as the real one ever was in its prime to take care of it!

Elainexx :-)
    barry2013 wrote:
    Had busy day yesterday, went to the gym for my first session, did an hours programme, back home did quite a bit of digging in my new allotment. Knee shouted enough is enough, spent evening with ice packs on knee, will I ever learn :?: Going to have an easy day today.
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Boy.. you believe in overdoing things, you poor thing. You are right, we never seem to learn that it controls us and not the other way round. Don't think I will ever learn to be honest. Hope the ice packs have helped and take things a bit easier.
    Karen xx
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    OTOH, no harm done. So what if you overdo it occasionally?

I went hovercraft driving last Friday, a Groupon offer my partner and I finally found time to take up. I had no idea what it involved until I got there. Then I found you kneel all the time, and control the hovercraft with one control, but also by shifting your whole weight from one knee to the other as you turn. Very, very physical. My knees didn't like it much, and my leg muscles protested a lot! But so what. I had a wonderful day out, learned a new skill, and a couple of achy days later I was back to normal...in fact, I think my legs are a bit stronger than before. So I learned....that my new knees can do most things, even if in these relatively early days they might still hurt, and that I can still enjoy life to the full. And being careful is not necessary. :D
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Once you've recovered (and you will) your knee and leg muscles will probably be all the better for it. Sometimes you have to push beyond what you can do or even what you want to do, so that your "at ease" limits get stronger. eg if you can easily do a 90 degree bend, keep pushing a 100 degree bend for a 95 degree bend to become easy.

Take anti-inflammatories, keep up with the ice pack (don't keep it on too long at a time), and keep up the physio, but a bit more gently - rest up, but don't let it get stiff!
  • barry2013
    barry2013 Member Posts: 151
    Had an easy day yesterday, just went for a walk. Today off to the gym for some gentle workout. Ice packs did help.
    Barry.