Illness on Methotraxate...????

Options
gemmarh100
gemmarh100 Member Posts: 73
edited 25. Apr 2013, 05:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, just asking for a bit more advice on Methotraxate....(I know we are all different but opinions help) :)I have been diagnosed with RA and Rheumy wantes to put me on Methotraxate...???

I have read the leaflet and some things online....just wondering about the low immune system....??? It says you are prone to illness and infection, but I work with young children(0-3years) There is illness all around all the time :shock: ....just a bit worried I am going to be constantly ill.....OR is the hype worse that the reality??? :?

If you are on Meth please comment how it affects you...so I can get an overview of general effects....again, I know we are all different and I might be lucky.... :)

Gem XxXx

Comments

• ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there Gemmarh, I've been on and off Methotrexate for about 3 years and never had an infection of any kind while on it. I work in an area where people have infections and there is a big public turnover and at first I worried about the same things you mention.
    The thing to remember is that you would be on a very small dose even if you take the maximum for arthritis compaired to people who take it for cancer. Having said that some people can't tolerate it at all and I know one woman who ends up with a low immune system and deranged liver bloods every time she tried to take it.
    We are all different and the same drug can have a different effect on all of us. While you are on methotrexate you get regular blood checks and are advised to contact your GP right away if you suspect you are taking an infection so in my mind, you're well looked out for.. For the most part, side effects can be managed and the benifits outweigh the risks for me anyhow.
    Good luck.
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I'm on methotrexate for PsA & Chronic Plaque Psoriasis. I started it in 2007.
    My PsA seemed to be calmed by a dose of 15mg a week but my psoriasis hasn't reacted as well so I've been on 25mg for a long time. We are monitored via regular blood tests which also gives the consultants & GP's an idea of how well ure tolerating it re liver etc It also gives them a good idea of how ure arthritis is doing on it from the different markers they test for!!

I had Glandular Fever a couple of years ago, no idea how I caught it, n it knocked me for 6 but as I had to stop the med to protect my liver I was begging at every appointment to have it restarted!! It took 6 months :?
    I am a Nan, my Grandson is nearly 3 yrs old & I haven't seemed to catch any colds etc from him!!

I'm currently due to start on a 30mg dose. I'm just waiting for a blood test to see how my markers are. I've had 6 chest infections since Xmas!! I must admit I'm hoping I'll be put on an anti TNF instead of methotrexate in the near future but that is because I have more health problems, OA & Fibromyalgia (FM). Being ill on top of FM & Psoriatic Arthritis is damaging wot little quality of life I have left!! It's pulling me down quite badly.
    Having said all of that I will still take it by choice even with my problems as my skin & PsA ARE helped by it so I'd rather have it than nothing.

I hope that helps. Take care & good luck :) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Gem
    Sorry I dont have any advice, I just want to wish you well with the treatment..like you say everyone reacts so different to there meds...hopefully you will get along fine with it...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I could be wrong but I think all the DMARDS lower the immune system. If you have RA then you need 'proper' meds to keep it in check and can't just tinker about with anti-inflammatories. So I think that should be your starting point.

I do understand about the concern over working with small children. My son calls my grandson's Day Care 'The Little Germ Factory'. As others have said, though, I'm not sure we are more prone to infection on meth, only that we take longer to throw them off.

I'd say take the meth (It's worked well for me for years) but take every precaution re the germs and, most importantly, do try to be aware of the early signs of a cold etc so that you can start treating it quickly and not let it take hold. Some of us are advised by their rheumatologists not to take their meth if they have an infection in order to give their immune system a boost. Ask yours what their policy is on that. And good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    hi gemmarh

Methotrexate is used to treat some cancers at a very high dose compared to what we are allowed to take with RA , been on it for 15 years without a problem , its a Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) & they are the drugs that will stop you having joint damage

talk to your rheumatology team if you are worried about any drugs , some of the newer anti-tnf drugs like Golumamab requires us to take Mtx with it , try it , & if you dont get on with it there are other drugs to try , but taking nothing is not a option

hope you feel better soon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I take injected meth (plus humira and sulph) and am scrupulous about hand hygeine. I work as a private tutor and all my clients are doused with hand gel and antiseptic wipes are swiped over everything on the desk. Every cough or sniffle is followed up by me with a squirt of this or a swipe of that. I do get colds occasionally but when I do I stop the meth and humira so that my immune system can fire up to help fight it off.

The important thing is that your arthritis is brought under control. You can control the rest but not the disease. We all cope with it and you can too. Good luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi,

I've just retired at 55 after 30 years of early years teaching(3-5s). I take hydroxychloroquine and sulfasalazine, and have just restarted methotrexate. I did try it 2 years ago but it wiped me out and I got lots of chest infections but I am asthmatic as well which didn't help. Having walked away from the germ factory I'm having another go with methotrexate because it really helped the RA- if it doesn't work it's on to look for something else!

As others have said we are all very different and it takes a long time to find the right combination for you. Hope that you find the right combination very quickly. If you decide to try the meth you will be closely monitored and if the immune system is battered it will show in your regular blood checks.

Good luck!!!
    Deb x
  • premierscfc04
    premierscfc04 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Hi,
    I took mtx for 8 years, initially tablets then injection and never got any opportunistic infections or even more colds whilst on it. I did get uncontrollable sickness in the last year so came of it and the sickness stopped within a week. Other than that it kept my RA under control and proved a good treatment.

Good Luck
    Prem