ARTHRITIC CRUTCH

Options
Numptydumpty
Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
edited 1. May 2013, 08:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Unsure, I use a pair of them. My physiotherapist gave them to me when my hands and wrists got too bad to use sticks.
I get on quite well with them. I find my posture is better than when I used sticks.
I do get quite achey shoulders and neck from using them, but I guess nothing is perfect :? Also, they are cumbersome, and difficult to sit down with. You have to take them off your arms to sit down, and they Don't lean very well against a wall etc.
Having said that, I wouldn't be without mine now.
Perhaps you could get some from physiotherapy or OT.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have been looking at these recently...for when I have my THR ..has my left hand is quite painful now the injection has worn off....so thanks for the info Numpty..and thanks unsure for starting the thread... x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I would strongly advise you to take Numpty's advice and go via physio or OT who will not only ensure they are the correct height for you but will also have different things to try. I hope you find some that help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    used a pair years ago , was given them by a physiotherapist , out one day got asked if I was going skiing , would have like to wrap it around his head , not used them since .

as Numpty said they are cumbersome & normal ones are lot easier to get on with , get a pair with Comfy Handles from your physio
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I hope you don't have to wait too long, and that you get on all right with them.
    Thanks for telling us about those ferrules, they look good, think I'm going to try them. :D
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oooh, bouncy ferrules - I saw a chap with them yesterday in Sainsbury's but wasn't in the mood to ask him questions about them. Thank you for the info, Unsure, I will have a look later.

Re your request, I think it best to go for professional advice about this. I was taught how to use my standard NHS crutches by a very good physio, she stressed they were for balance and stability, not support, so I always try not to lean too much on them for that reason. I find the rollator much easier on my affected joints but I need a better-quality one to ease the vibrations through my hands and shoulders. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm pleased that you will be seen by 'someone in the know' about the crutch, I think that is important. My walker has wheels so I think the ferrules won't help too much :wink: but they will for my sticks. Thank you for the info. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben