What to do

Options
villier
villier Member Posts: 4,426
edited 28. Apr 2013, 10:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am in a bit of a quandry and don't know what to do for the best. I have a lot of autonomic problems going on, one, getting dizzy spells, my neurologist sent me for tests last November and I never heard anything about them. I saw him on the ward in January when I was in for my treatment and mentioned it to him, he said he would look into it, I took a really bad one(dizzy spell) a couple of weeks ago and passed out in the supermarket which resulted in an overnight stay in hospital. I decided to phone and leave a message for neurlogist who phoned me today and told me he wrote to my GP in January to put me on a certain medication(I can't remember the name) as I definately have autonomic problems going on, my GP sees me every six weeks and has never mentioned anything, my neuro said he will write to him again but meantime what to do, I am not one for pushing myself, should I contact the surgery or just leave it untill they get word from neuro, maybe they didn't get the last letter. Oh goodness I am such a woose help!!!!! :? ........................Marie xx
Smile a while and while you smile
smile another smile and soon there
will be miles and miles of smiles
just because you smiled I wish your
day is full of Smiles

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Marie,

Maybe it would be wise to contact the GP to ask if they have a letter? I know it's tricky to ask what could be a difficult question, but if you can do it gently rather than make it an accusation they might be glad for the prompt- after all we all get so busy that things slip through the net occasionally.

Hope you get the right treatment very soon.

Deb xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi Marie,someone at your gps practice should have picked up on this,you are not a woose just someone who is worried.I will be in your pocket when ever needed.Sending hugs (((()))) Mig
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Marie

Don't wait a minute longer, get in touch with the GP please. If you have passed out in a supermarket already resulting in an overnight hopsital stay that's reason enough isn't it?
    Sometimes GP's can be very slow in getting back to you with things and if you don't chase it they think your symptoms are under control or alleviated...

Good luck..

Elainexx
    villier wrote:
    I am in a bit of a quandry and don't know what to do for the best. I have a lot of autonomic problems going on, one, getting dizzy spells, my neurologist sent me for tests last November and I never heard anything about them. I saw him on the ward in January when I was in for my treatment and mentioned it to him, he said he would look into it, I took a really bad one(dizzy spell) a couple of weeks ago and passed out in the supermarket which resulted in an overnight stay in hospital. I decided to phone and leave a message for neurlogist who phoned me today and told me he wrote to my GP in January to put me on a certain medication(I can't remember the name) as I definately have autonomic problems going on, my GP sees me every six weeks and has never mentioned anything, my neuro said he will write to him again but meantime what to do, I am not one for pushing myself, should I contact the surgery or just leave it untill they get word from neuro, maybe they didn't get the last letter. Oh goodness I am such a woose help!!!!! :? ........................Marie xx
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I'd definitely contact your surgery, tell them about passing out & resulting hospital stay & that you saw your neurologist who got back to you today & said he'd sent a letter to be put on a medication in January!! Ask for an emergency appointment too.

All the best & I really hope this medication helps you.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Marie, they've already ignored/lost one letter from the consultant, what's to stop it happening again?
    You're not being a woose, you don't have to go in there with all guns blazing. Just tell them what the consultant said to you.
    I hope you soon get it sorted.(((())))
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    The others are right, Marie. I think you know what must be done although, sometimes, we have to steel ourselves to do it. You could ask the practice manager or a receptionist, in the first instance, if they've got the letter but, in any case, you'll probably need an appointment with the GP to sort out what happens medwise. As Numpty says, you don't have to be angry, just determined to get the meds you need. And I, for one, will be in your pocket with a nice bottle with which to celebrate your success afterwards. (Better make that two bottles as Numpty's coming :wink: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Marie you contact that surgery first thing in the morning...this just should not happen...we cant have you passing out like this.....whatever the medication is if it helps that will be a big improvement for you......wishing you well with it all and please let us know how you get on xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies, I had written individual ones and when I went to post it had b****y disappeared, I will phone the surgery tomorrow cool, calm and collected :roll: and if it has been their fault knowing my GP I don't think I will need to wait for an appointment, I will let you all know the outcome..................stingy forum this, wot only two bottles of wine :lol: xxx
    day is full of Smiles
  • villier
    Options
    Well.....................I rang the surgery and was very polite and proper asked the receptionist if there was any correspondance from my neurologist in January, after looking into my file and a few questions she replied oh yes there is one here a discharge letter, I asked if there was any mention of medication she asked me what neuro had said, I said I couldn't remember she replied was it fludrocortisone, I said that sounded familiar she went rather quiet for a moment then said I will get the Doc to phone you.

He has just been on the phone profusely apologising and he has now got a headache as normally these discharge letters have usually got medications ATTACHED, not within the format of the letter as mine was and that was why it was missed, he now has to work out how to overcome this so it will not happen again. To be fair I also think my neuro should have sent me a letter to tell me the tests were positive and he was writing to my GP with the suggested medication, at least I would have known to mention to him,
    anyway a lesson learned I am never going to feel that I am a nuisance ever again about chasing up test results as even the best of them can make mistakes as we all can.
    Thanks again you lovely people for giving me the courage to make that phone call I probably would have waited until they got the new letter from my neuro, my prescription awaits me although I don't know if I want to be on steroids :shock:..........................Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Well done, Marie! You grasped the nettle, took the bull by the horns, bit the bullet and, in spite of all my mixed metaphors :roll: , got a positive result. What’s more, you did it kindly, politely and without getting angry with anyone. As a result, from what you have written, it sounds as if the surgery has acknowledged that they’ve learnt a valuable lesson.

I agree that being on steroids is daunting. I love/hate the little monsters but there are times in our lives when it’s a matter of the lesser of two evils. Take them and have a natter about them next time you see the neuro. That would be my advice.

I do hope they help a lot.
    Steven Wright
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Options
    Glad things have worked out well and you can get the medication you need.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Well done for getting it sorted,hope things now work out well for you.Mig
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Glad you got it sorted, and so pleased that you found the courage to do it!!!!! Now I hope the medication works for you.

Deb x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Marie

I am glad you phoned and got to the bottom of what happened/has been overlooked. It sounds like the doctor has learned a lesson in this instance its just that you were the recipient of this unfortunate experience.
    Good on you for taking the bull by the horns and prompting them to look into this for you. Suppose its better late than never.
    Well done Miss Chocolate Ginger Truffle....

Elainexx
  • villier
    Options
    I picked up the prescription from the chemist, when I opended it at home the tablets were in a small bottle as opposed to a blister pack and the label said read the printed advice, I would if there was one, :shock: it also said keep in the fridge does anyone know if this is normal?............thanks again everyone for your replies..............Oh Elaine you are a trier I can see I am gonna have to send you some chocolate ginger truffles the next time I make them :lol: xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Try asking the pharmacist? Good luck :)
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Marie

Isn't that annoying when they don't include the printed advice..Is that the leaflet or is that the sheet that sometimes the doctor prints off for you? I suppose with you being on internet you can look it up yourself but its not the same!...
    I'm only jesting bout the truffles they just sound lovely!

Elainexx
    villier wrote:
    I picked up the prescription from the chemist, when I opended it at home the tablets were in a small bottle as opposed to a blister pack and the label said read the printed advice, I would if there was one, :shock: it also said keep in the fridge does anyone know if this is normal?............thanks again everyone for your replies..............Oh Elaine you are a trier I can see I am gonna have to send you some chocolate ginger truffles the next time I make them :lol: xx