Weird Taste In Mouth

shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
edited 27. Apr 2013, 10:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
I just wondered if anyone has experienced any strange tastes in there mouth from any of their meds they are taking.Lately I have had some weird taste in my mouth more at the back of the throat area not often but occasionally and am wondering if this could be related to my meds.I am on Methotrexate and Hydroxy and I am thinking it could most likely be the Methotrexate as I haven't so far received any side effects from Hydroxy.If this is related to Methotrexate do I just hope it goes away eventually or put up with it any other suggestions would be useful as it is not very nice taste at all.

Comments

• jacqmun
    jacqmun Member Posts: 65
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I was on Methotrexate and I remember posting on here asking if anyone had suffered with smell and taste distortion while taking it!!!
    I was frantic as it was very disturbing, most things tasted or smelt of either onion or vanilla!!!! :shock: and things that should have smelt really bad didn't smell at all!! This was one of the side affects that I suffered that they really had not heard of too much. Methotrexate was stopped as I had other side affects, and gradually things returned to normal but it took months!!
    Here's hoping it gets better for you!!!
    When it rains, look for rainbows. When it's dark, look for stars
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Methotrexate was initially just a chemotherapy drug. I remember when I was on chemo having a nasty, metallic taste in my mouth for as long as I was on it. I've never had that, though, with the low doses prescribed for my RA (at most, I was on 22.5mg). I've never had any side-effects from hydroxy.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • shandy4greenday
    Yeah that's the taste I get metalic wasn't sure how to describe it.I dont get it all the time but it's horrible.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Try sucking ice cubes. Sometimes it helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • shandy4greenday
    Thanks for the tip I dont think it really anything that needs to make me come off them as it's not everyday and I'm slowly getting used to them apart from the ulcers still a problem but will see how that goes now I'm on a lower dose.
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Hi. I posted here and elsewhere about a horrible taste I've had ever since taking MTX and Hydroxy. I think it might have started with the RA but I became more aware of it after starting DMARDs. It got to the point where it was continual and I also had blisters on my face and up my nose and dry eyes and felt generally pretty horrible. So my GP took me off the two drugs for a month in order to work out what was causing what. No one, including my rheumatologist, explained to me that this could be because of the RA.

The bad taste (and it was foul, metalic and garbage like!) didn't go away and even worsened so I went to the chemist one day and asked if they could give me something to help. I explained the situation and the pharmacist said that he had experienced something similar when having chemotherapy and gave me some synthetic saliva spray to try. Later on the same day I saw my optician who diagnosed that my eyes were very dry too and I read up and started to wonder about secondary Sjogrens. I do think this was the cause of it for me but now I use saliva stimulating pastilles and gel and also drink more water and brush my tongue twice a day as well as my teeth and feel it's much improved for these things. I am back on injectable Methotrexate now but not yet back on Hydroxichloraquine as re-introducing one drug at a time. The MTX is making me feel very sick again but hopefully this will settle down as my body gets used to it again.

I did learn quite a lot from this experiment but wouldn't recommend it unless you had other issues to do with the drugs or needed to make sure they being taken for a purpose because I then had two weeks of flaring on and off and feel pretty lousy now for it. But I do at least know I have RA and that was quite a big issue for me so no regrets! Hope this helps. Mat x

Ps and in case you're wondering - my oral hygiene has always been very good!
    If you get lemons, make lemonade