Knee stiffness

Options
pegleg59
pegleg59 Member Posts: 2
I have o/a in my left knee. I can walk ok for 30 minutes until the knee stiffens up and will not support my body weight. At this point I get out my walking stick and complete the rest of the walk in rolling motion. The movement that i find difficult at this time is lifting the leg as if climbing the stairs. Is this normal?

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,495
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    pegleg59 wrote:
    I have o/a in my left knee. I can walk ok for 30 minutes until the knee stiffens up and will not support my body weight. At this point I get out my walking stick and complete the rest of the walk in rolling motion. The movement that i find difficult at this time is lifting the leg as if climbing the stairs. Is this normal?

Hi pegleg59

Thank you for your forum posting.

In answer to your question regarding the ‘lifting of the knee’, it would be difficult for me to say whether or not it is normal as everyone is different.

Osteoarthritis of the knee can weaken the thigh muscles, so regular exercising of those muscles can help stabilise and protect the joint, and also can reduce the pain.

I am wondering if you could ask you doctor for a referral to see a physiotherapist, who would be able to give you specific exercises for your knee.

Below is a link to the Arthritis Research UK booklet Osteoarthritis of the knee, which you may find helpful
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-knee.aspx

and also a link to Arthritis Research UK information regarding exercises for the knee
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-knee/knee-pain-exercises.aspx

It is important to find the right balance between rest and exercise, little and often is usually the best approach.

Please feel free to give us a call on the helplines 0808 800 4050 (Monday – Friday 10am – 4pm) where we can chat informally to you about what’s going on

Lynda
    Helplines Team