And then there was 'fun'.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 6. May 2013, 15:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
Me and 'im indoors today crossed another rubicon. We toddled off to the Obese Tiger (setting the answerphone to 'on' when we left) and have come home with the wondrous realisation we can leave it as set because we won't be needed.

It's very odd. I think I'll get used to it, he's had a few months to adjust but for me it's a very raw thing. Normally we would be sat here thinking that an elderly mum might need us but they don't, not any more. It's strange, after eleven years of waiting for a call that may or not may not come, that I now know it won't. Yup, it's odd. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Aaaw, DD. Sending some (((hugs))). You never want to get that call at the time but, in some strange way, you miss the thought that it might come. My mum was rushed in to hospital many times for a few years. We never wanted to get the call but now that we know we won't get it, means she is no longer there. Hope you are remembering good times now.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Aw DD :(

I am sorry and I do understand how you feel. I still want to ring mine and check my mobile is next to me incase.....it will be 6 years in July.

She was the first person I wanted to ring to tell her about Lucy's job yesterday, but still.....I texted my friends instead :)

You are right you will adjust and it will feel far less raw soon.

love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    You used the correct word , DD , although maybe in jest . FUN ; you can now concentrate on you and Mr DD as a couple and do what you like , when you like . You won't forget and can look back on memories ; good ,bad and indifferent ones ; but it's now DD time . Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I send my thanks applerose, frog and jilly. This is indeed an odd time for us. We went out for lunch today and found ourselves discussing what we could do come Christmas.

Crikey. :shock:

For the first time in our married life (a mighty sixteen years come July but have been together for twenty-five) we can do what WE want. Quite frankly we're discombobulated by that prospect. We discussed going away but now I'm not so sure; on reflection I think that I will need the comfort of our house but of course he may need summat different. Hopefully we will find a reasonable compromise.

Freedom is odd. :? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I remember this well DD..and its 30 something years ago now for my mum...you do what pleases you...and that would please your mum I am sure ((((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hopefully we will find a reasonable compromise.
    Of course you and the lovely Mr DD will. Learn to enjoy the freedom. You've earned it by being a very good daughter.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I have to add my sincere condolences on the loss of your mum and say that I'm very sorry that they are so late. I didn't realise.

You will adjust Dreamdaisy but it will take a long time and part of us will always miss our parents when they are no longer with us. But that just shows how much we love/loved them.

So very sorry.

flowers_zps488b8dbc.jpg

Love
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Fun will still happen you will have to adjust to it in its new guise. Mig
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Yep, we've just turned out a roastie for four of us, filled the old dears up with wine, cheese and coffee and ready for bed even though its only just after eight. Another half an hour and they will be asleep so we'll get them off home, its getting to be a chore both ways but we all manage, for now.

Pooch (13 years old) couldn't even raise a sniff when offered some crackling and he's the one that takes my 88 year old blind dad for walks. We'll soldier on for now.

Enjoy your freedom and live it for the rest of us. :P
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Oh DD, I remember that feeling oh so well. My heart goes out to you. It never goes, but does in time get easier. It's been a while since my mum and dad passed now. But remember the feeling of complete loss.

Sending you some hugs of comfort for you.
    Karen xx