Own allotement

Options
suncatcher
suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
edited 10. May 2013, 17:30 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi Gardeners
My son and my self now have our own plot. My husband is busy making raised beds for us. I am using his green house to plant seeds. We have strawberries in one bed. Lettuce and parsnips in another. I will have to wait for my own greenhouse and shed. Just grateful to get a plot i can work on.Hope everyone is good from joanne
Joanne

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi S C I grow the basics here, broad and runner beans as I freeze any surplus, I also grow beetroot tom's and Chilli's, oh and I'm growing spuds in tubs again as it worked well last year despite the rain, I have 2 pink fur apples and one King Ted I had left over from a packet of spuds we got from the supermarket.
    I don't grow parsnips or other root veg as the soil here has a lot of clay in it beetroot copes oddly.
    My Chilli's plants are my specialty crop really as I like the mega hot ones I.E Dorset Naga Ghost Butch T etc, I find they attract aphids like anything though so this year I will have to spray regularly, I don't like chemicals but they won't survive otherwise, that said in the local 99p shop you can buy Doff bug spray that's an organic compound type that's OK to use on veg, I also only use BioBiz organic feed on all me pot plants including my Tomato's as you can use it on a regular basis & it won't cause salt build up and the subsequent Nitrogen block and high PH you get with man made feeds.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Joanne!!!

How lovely :D I bet you are over the moon with that - well done you expanding your hobby. Great acorns from little seeds and all that.....

Sunshine here so will be tidying up today outside if I can

Mellman you know I grow tomatoes, pepper cucumber potatoes carrots broad and runners as well as spring onions and lettuce. Is that it? Oh and i have a damseon tree and coking apple tree too :D

aren't we lucky?

Toni xx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Oh yeah I almost forgot, if your allotment is overgrown with weeds and grass right now don't rotorvate it, hand dig it and hand sift it for bindweed, otherwise you'll just make it a lot lot worse, and don't try planting spuds for at least a season as you'll have wire worms eating them, same goes for root veg, you need to dig it over then repeat a few time to kill them off, you also need to dig it over in autumn so the frost can get at things, the wire worm problem should decrease enough to be OK to plant spuds next season if your lucky.
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I have 5 raised beds now. I planted beetroot and Brussels sprouts and herbs. I have heard someone on the allotment wanted to give up and will sell me there green house. We are looking forward to it. I don't like sharing my husbands,i want my own.
    I have had my daughter and her boyfriend helping us i am really greatful. Its turning into a family thing now as they are waiting for a plot of their own. Any way better go my eyes are playing up. thanks for all replys from joanne
    Joanne
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    I have quite a large green house but wish now i would have brought a polly tunnle

Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE