Electric Scooter

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
edited 28. Jun 2013, 18:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I regularly take my bogstandard wheelchair on flights. They always ask if it folds up small (it does) and I just use it to the door of the aircraft then it's taken and put in the hold and is waiting for me at the other end. It has to be arranged beforehand though. They put a label - or several :roll: - on it at check-in. I'd guess that a fold-up scooter would be similar but always check as some of the low cost airlines might have different policies (ie with Ry*n**r you'd probably be strapped onto a wing :wink:

If at all possible, try before you buy. Some scooters are much less stable than others and more awkward both for getting in and out of and for using. Because we're all slightly different in our disabilities, it's not much use going by what someone else says.

Mr SW and I do a fair bit of 'Wheelchair Walks'. Old railway lines are ideal but some places (I can think of a local reservoir) allow you to borrow a scooter. Have fun, Unsure, and do let's know how you get on.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    Glad you've tried them and know what you don't like :wink:
    I've got one....don't use it a lot now but use a 4 wheel rollater.

If its a long distance or hilly I use it or want to go for a "walk" with OH it is great.
    I'm not sure about airlines but check....they are probably all different.
    Its worth getting in touch with the tourist office at the other end....they might know who hires them out {if you cant take it on a plane}
    Good luck and let us know if you getone
    Love
    hileena
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,933
    Options
    Hello Unsure
    i have had my 3 wheeled scoota for over 14 years and my sister for 30 years and the scoota as never tipped over even on a subway that we use every day to take our dogs over the fields.
    i have never been in a plane.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    Options
    I have one that comes apart to stow in the car, a little heavy however even in the different bits.

Airlines will take them in the cargo hold with your cases and other stuff. They have to cater for disabled people and equipment under the Equality Act.

You may need to book yourself onto the plane separately as a disabled passenger and make sure they know you need your scooter with you, and everything else. It will be useful to know the weight of the scooter.

Have a good trip and take care. Remeber some countries drive on the wrong side of the road :lol:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Unsure
    I am glad to see you have got yourself a scooter, taking them on plane depends on the weight and the company you are travelling with..trip adviser is always good for info on these things....I have a friend that just hires ones at the other end to avoid any delays in getting her scooter off the plane..or any damage..I suppose it depends on where you are has to how easy it is to hire one...good Luck with it all
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Good for you, Unsure, hopefully it will be useful and prove to be reliable. I wish you happy scootering - beep beep! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I’ll second DD’s post. Please keep us updated on your progress with it.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,933
    Options
    Have a good holiday and enjoy your scoota.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Have a great time.....it will have been the best thing you have done....getting the scooter....keep safe.
    Do we warn people to walk on the road to be safe when you are about :lol::lol::lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Unsure wrote:
    dachshund wrote:
    Have a good holiday and enjoy your scoota.
    take care
    joan xx

Holidays are on hold as wife is having gall bladder removed in 2 weeks so it depends if it's keyhole or if they have to open her up. Pre-op this morning.

If we go it'll be a last minute thing.
    I do hope it will be keyhole, then you can hopefully booked that holiday...when we were in Spain they had tandem scooters...I had to laugh when they went past but what a brilliant idea...some of them had children on with them...
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Your wife's had a fair bit of damage done, ForeverUnsureDel :roll: :roll: :roll: What can be seen on the outside will bear little resemblance to what's gone on under the surface. There will be lots of knitting together needs to happen yet.

The scooter? Ah yes, real prats r us. Hopefully a lesson learned.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh my word - yet another wondrous 'own goal' by those who are 'in charge'. Yet again Sticky is the supposéd author of threads to which she has replied. Unsure/forever/Del has apparently been deleted as a result of asking a perfectly reasonable question concerning the peculiar alterations of his username (the question was posted this morning on the technical forum). On the other hand there are a number of very stale threads at the top of each forum which should have been kicked into touch months ago. I wish you all a Happy Christmas 2012. :wink: DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ah - I extend apologies, apparently the Yuletide thread has gone ( I thought I saw it this morning, maybe not 'cos that is a few painful hours ago now) but we are still left with a number dating back to various months in 2012. If one views the forum as a house it is certainly lacking 'kerb appeal'. This is not a criticisim of the mods (without whom we wouldn't be here) but surely this forum is a valuable resource, maybe a unique resource? I know about NRAS (not joined 'cos don't have RA) but of no other.

Right, I'm off to properly watch AM playing TR, I'm tired and stuff hurts.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Just for the record I DID NOT START THIS THREAD and then provide my own answer. I don't know what has happened to poor Unsure who seems to have undergone two enforced name changes before being obliterated completely. Life is precarious.
    Steven Wright