Smells!

Options
katekelly
katekelly Member Posts: 975
edited 11. May 2013, 08:22 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well Folks,

Like many of you, I have got a line full of washing out in the beautiful sunshine. There is a bit of a breeze today so it won't take long to dry.

I was just clock-watching (school run in 30 minutes!) and thought to myself that I must get the bedding in and ironed before tea. On days like this I like to get the same bedding back on the bed because of the smell. As much as we have all these fancy fabric conditioners I don't think you can beat the smell of freshly dried and ironed bedding specially when it has been line dried. I find it a comforting smell as it reminds me of being a little girl and going to stay with my Nan. Her bedding always smelt like this she never dried anything inside and always managed to get her washing dry.

Another comfort smell to me is baby powder particularly Johnson's. That is something I don't think I'll ever tire of. In fact a friend of mine was recently in hospital for a few weeks and before she went in I gave her some baby powder to comfort her and to aid her well-being.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who find smells a comfort so tell me, what are your favourites and what images/memories do they conjure up for you?

Love Kate x

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Two stroke Kate, happy days at rallies over the years. I also love the smell of roses, jasmine, vanilla and oranges.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Cake cooking and fresh coffee :) Homely smells both of them

I also like the smell of Shalimar by guerlain. It was my Mum's favourite perfume :D

Freshly mowed grass and that smell when it rains??

Sigh....smells are very evocative
  • lurch1
    lurch1 Member Posts: 561
    Options
    I've always loved the smell of creoste, and freshly laid tarmac.
    Memory wise, lavender polish that came in a tin, makes me think of home when i was a child.
    Also, sun tan lotion takes me straight back to family holidays with my brother and sisters at the beach........
    all wonderful memories
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Ah yes sun-tan lotion!!

Reminds me of lathering it all over my girls when they were wee :) sigh
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Love the smell of freshly laundered clothes on the washing line. I don't use fabric conditioner. Freshly brewed coffee, although I feel ill if I drink hot coffee. Newly mown grass. New born babies or puppies.
    Christine
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    old cars
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Colin1 wrote: