The first billywitch of the year.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 8. May 2013, 15:38 in Community Chit-chat archive
I loathe 'em, detest 'em, hate 'em with a passion I didn't know I had until I moved to Suffolk and discovered these weird, flying 'raw' prawns. You may know them better as cockchafers (and looking at 'em you can see why they would :wink: ). I guess the recent heat has woken them and one battered into our front window a little earlier. They are the oddest things. I don't know why they are called billywitches - I was told that it may be something to do with the fact that they hatch in chimneys and, when first flying, make a droning sound similar to the Ipswich Witches (our local speedway team) but I don't know if that is true. I do know this, however; they are foul and warn that the time of the flying stag beetle approaches. :shock: I will be staying indoors. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'd never heard them called that, we always called them May bugs, around here though, they call them Spang beetles. it seems they have quite a few aliases. :?
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    I've never heard of them either but they sound revolting...yuk yuk
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    :shock:

Poor you DD - I know how much you dislike them :(

Let's hope they don't trouble you too much.

Anyone else seen more than usual supply of ANTS??
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    We get " summer beetles " here too ; the local kids head to the top of the hill near where we live , armed with their tennis rackets and swat them for hours ! Simple pleasures down here on the south downs ! Jillyb