Advice needed urgently

Bethliz
Bethliz Member Posts: 44
edited 14. Jun 2013, 01:27 in My child has arthritis
Hi everyone

I posted a few days ago asking if anyone has a toddler taking methatrixine. I am being advised that this is the most likely course of action that we will have to take with my wee girl. I appreciate everyone is very buSy but if anyone has time to share experiences i would be very grateful. I am taking my daughter up to hospital on wed 15th May for a 2nd steroid injection but i think meth will be discussed with me at this appointment so i would very much like some more info about how it affects wee ones before we go.

Many thanks
Bethliz

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    Can't offer any advice just sending my support
    Maria
  • Pegsboard
    Pegsboard Member Posts: 29
    Hi Maria09
    I am sorry I missed this post. Not been on here for ages. It may be too late to respond but you sounded desperate (just like we were when methotrexate was mentioned!)
    My girl has been on metho for a year now (we inject her every week). I have to say the improvement in her is amazing. She can do all that other 4 year olds can do now just a little slower!! I'm sure it's down to the metho so it's marvellous in this way BUT she vomits every time she takes it, she constantly has cold and it takes her weeks to get over any bugs. She also gets irritable and upset easily. Not sure if theses are all side effects of metho but she had 6 weeks off due to her liver function results being raised and she was a lot happier. To be honest tho the pros far outweigh the cons and I would start her on it now even knowing what I do. I still hate giving her the injections tho!! Hope this helps a little. Zoe x
  • Pegsboard
    Ha!! Sorry I put wrong name on response!! Sorry Bethliz. :?
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    You did confuse me there but it doesn't take much
    Maria
  • Bethliz
    Hi Maria
    Thank you so much for your reply. Glad to hear your little girls arthritis is much better on methatrixate but sorry to hear she suffers quite badly with the side effects. Can I ask how many joints are affected? My little girl only has arthritis in her knee and so far the steroid injections are working very well. She is running around very happily but the physio has shown me there is a little bit of tightness as her leg does not fully straighten. I think our next appointment is going to be at the end of July. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

Liz
  • Pegsboard
    Hi Liz

She has 5 joints that are affected, both knees, left hip and both elbows. Her legs don't straighten properly either and she wears gaiters (soft leg braces) to try to straighten them. We went to rheumatology yesterday and they have agreed to a trial seperation(!) from methotrexate!! She's been quite ill recently, upset tummy and other things so she's off it til October. I'm pleased because I don't have to stab her (her description) every week but a little apprehensive if arthritis will rear its ugly head again. Steroid injections worked brilliantly for her and ibuprofen works for her too.
    There are other drugs other than metho that they can take but I've not had any experience of those so I have no idea how effective they are or what the side effects can be. Hope your little one keeps running around and enjoying the sun.

Zoë x
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Sorry your little one has this arthiritis , i cannot help you as i am an old one.
    But my thoughts are with you .

Fowls xx .
  • Bethliz
    Hi Zoe

Really hope everything goes well between now and October, and your wee girl gets a well deserved break from methatrixate. Hopefully the arthritis will not flare. I can't thank you enough for getting in touch.

Liz x