Trying to run before I can walk...? Is this normal...?

Options
freesia
freesia Member Posts: 409
edited 15. May 2013, 15:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Three weeks after surgery to "BOTH" knees together, I'm feeling down :cry:

Feeling really frustrated that I'm still so immobile. I don't have the horrible pain I had before but now a different pain, very sore & stiff pains and still very wobbly and unstable when walking with crutches. Is this normal......???

Is it too early to expect to start seeing a big difference, am I being impatient....

Doing my exercises but seem to have plateaued - seeing physio next week for first session and hopefully get some further advice.

But wanted to ask you guys and girls who many of you have been there and experienced surgery and the recovery process.

I know my situation may be a little different having bilateral surgery but can't help but worry I've made a huge mistake and feeling very venerable at the moment.
hugs freesia xxx

Comments

• Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think you mean 'vulnerable', not 'venerable' as in 'venerable Bede'. :D:D:D

Not criticising, Freesia, just hoping that might cheer you up a bit. I had both knees done together last July, and while I can't remember exactly how I felt at three weeks, I do remember that the going was tough, as everyone told me it would be. I remember constant exhaustion and a lot of pain, though exactly how my knees felt at that time....I just can't remember.

But not to worry, it'll get better! It's slow and gradual, and not always at a steady pace. But it does improve. Do your exercises, rest, ice, and then start all over again. The fact that 10 months later I'm starting to forget all the details, is proof that there is light at the end of the long dark tunnel of a bilateral TKR. You WILL come out the other end.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Oh Freesia

I think you are doing amazingly!!!

No wonder you feel vulnerable and weak - you have been through so much :shock:

Those muscles ligaments etc haven't worked for a long time so they have to get used to working so they are probably giving you gyp?? Small steps methinks :?

Be kinder to yourself and I am very glad to hear the original pain has gone.

Love

Toni xxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Freesia

Yes, I think you are being impatient which is a perfectly normal reaction and you are trying to run before you can walk. I only had one knee done at a time (2008 and 2010) and I used to rely on the other knee in the early days. So with both done at the same time, it is so much more difficult for you but you will get there and think on the positive side you will not have to go all through it again like most of us do as both usually need doing, in the end. At times, well many times, after each op, I wondered if I would ever be friends with the "new" knee. I have though, with both of them, long ago. It is a slow, often painful process and sometimes it is one step forward and two steps back, or feels like it. Persevere with the resting, icing, elevating and exercising, it's the only way forward. I have a feeling that when you start physio this will help you improve well as you can chat about it and work as a team, you will be given encouragement and you will get your confidence and mobility back on track.

Do let us know how you go on. It will all come together in the end. Your mobility will improve and the pain will slowly go. Trust me ;)

Hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've not had new knees but my first open synovectomy was an eye-opener about surgery, recovery, physio and 'getting back to normal'. The surgery in late February 2002 took some time because the knee was in such a state (seven years' worth of solid inflammation to be removed etc), followed by at least two months of sleeping on my back (bed in the dining room because no way could I do the stairs), physio from April to September and then it all starting up again (so the 'getting back to normal' never happened :lol: )

Of course you are being impatient - which is an entirely reasonable and human response. The surgery is to sort things out and make them better but we live in an increasingly instant world where things happen in a moment and we expect almost instant gratification. Healing and recuperation, however, do not fit into that category, they never have and never will. Surgery is a huge shock and affront to the whole body, not just the 'repaired' bit.

Don't undo any aspect of the surgeon's hard work by trying to run before you can walk. Be a patient patient, that is the most important thing - the time will pass, the healing will happen and you may well be able to achieve that final stage that passed me by. Good luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    You had major surgery only three weeks ago, the muscles in your thighs and calfs were pulled, pushed and generally traumatised. Of course you are stiff and sore. Maybe you cut down or stopped taking pain killers too soon? If you've run out, phone your Dr and ask for some more, and make sure you take some before an exercise session (though obviously don't overdose!)

Three weeks is a long time between surgery and first physio appointment - maybe they're over subscribed. Never mind though, just keep up the exercises you were given in hospital and try to increase the reps, and expect pain, especially in these early weeks. Unfortunately the movement is necessary to prevent scar tissue forming in the way, and so you can't just relax and let the muscles recover. You will also feel very tired for a few more weeks yet, it may not feel like you've been through a lot but it takes time to recover. I only had one knee done at a time, but I remember being very suprised at how exhausted I felt, all the time!
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    Hi there.....

Very relieved to see physio.... she said I'm making good progress, so early after surgery......breathing a huge sigh of relief......

No new exercises at this session, just continue what I'm doing and being seen again next week.

She has however told me to contact my GP to increase my pain medication, which had been reduced way too early - oops :oops: my fault....trying to be brave lol......surviving on 6 paracetamol and tiny tiny dose of mst every day is not ideal..... she said no wonder I was struggling....... that's me told lol :oops:
    hugs freesia xxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Glad your making progress Freesia, wanting get back to some normal life is understandable but you have to go at your bodies pace to heal. Yes you can do Phyiso to help it along but your body will let you know when it is healed. So you will have to rest a little and do the exercises you have been given to do but just don't go over doing it otherwise you are just taking several steps back on your recovery.
  • chookgate
    Options
    I think we all want to get off pain killers as quickly as possible and probably all have a tendency to delay taking them. I know I've been disappointed that 6 months on from my second TKR I still need pain killers every now and then - in fact I must be doing better than I thought, because I just realised I haven't taken any medication since last Friday! (I'll probably wake up too painful to move tomorrow now I've realised!)
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Keep popping the pills, as many and as often as you need to be pain free (or nearly). That's the professional advice, and it means you can do your exercises and get back to living a normal life. That worked for me anyway, after the same op.

Take care Freesia!
  • chookgate
    Options
    Keep popping the pills, as many and as often as you need to be pain free (or nearly). That's the professional advice, and it means you can do your exercises and get back to living a normal life. That worked for me anyway, after the same op.

Take care Freesia!

And if sticking to the dosage limits isn't enough, don't take more than prescribed, go back to the Dr and get something stronger.
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    And if sticking to the dosage limits isn't enough, don't take more than prescribed, go back to the Dr and get something stronger.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!