Neurontin (Gabapentin)

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 15. May 2013, 14:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
My doctor has prescribed Gabapentin for head pain caused by the arthritis in my head. There wasn't a leaflet in the box so looked up the details on line instead. How do other users get on with it? I gather it's a drug which has to be taken every day and not on an as and when needed basis, which is a bit of a problem. For instance, over the Bank holiday weekend I was entirely free of head pain, but following a lurch in the car thanks to a hill start with an automatic handbrake, it started off again. A visit to my osteopath on Tuesday will help to alleviate it again until next time.

Also, are TENS machines effective on other parts of the body?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Janet xx

Comments

• constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I came of off of the Gabapentin as it made me very very forgetfull. With two teenage girls I need to have my wits about me. That's when my dr put me on the brutrans patches, which do work better for me.

I must admit, I have just received a tens machine and a wheat bag. I find the wheat bag, especially first thing in the morn does help a little. And the tens machine helps while it's on.

Hope that helps you.
    Karen xx
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I've taken either 300mg/2 x day, or for the past year, 600mg, 2 x day gabapentin for nerve pain/neuropathy symptoms and have taken it for the past 2+ years. You do need to take it daily. I've recently been reading stories of how difficult it is to come off of; I will be consulting my GP next visit about this. I was not made aware of this when i started my rx. For me it really has worked well for nerve pain in my legs and hands, as has Tramadol slow release for joint pain, etc. I hated gabapentin when I started on it; it made me really hyper and unable to sleep, contrary to the stated side effect of sleepiness. I also was bothered by hallucinations(?). When I closed my eyes I had continual geometric/fractal-like images going through my brain. This all went away after a week or so. I really notice no side-effects now. I have been grateful for the good symptom-control it has given me but look forward to coming off it someday. Hope this is helpful. Do ask your doctor about difficult symptoms when you want to stop taking it; some people really seem to suffer coming off of it.

Good luck, head pain is awful. I have it from arthritis in my neck. FYI gabapentin doesn't control this pain for me.

Anna
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    I loved gabapentin - it was the only medication I have ever taken which gave me no side-effects. Sadly it did nothing either and i got up to 3600mg daily. Had no problems coming off it luckily.

Janet - I am so sorry about your pain it sounds pretty dreadful I hope the soteo helps you.

Where were you thinking about trying the tens?

Love

Toni xxx