Got To Go Back See About TKR

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 19. May 2013, 07:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I have made a decision to go back and see about my 7month old TKR. I so thought would be free of pain and discomfort but each morning I get up I still need to steady myself cos im so stiff and sore, getting up from sitting is sore as is driving my car. It still feels like my old knee and I am still on painkillers....I still exercise religiously, ice it, rub bio oil on it so feel have looked after it...The only pro points for it and I feel there is not enough for me is can kneel, sit with legs behind me and sleep in foetal position...It's still not straight however and doubt I will get it 100% straight however much I try...
Bit hacked off as wanted the operation to lease a new life for me...

Elainexx :-(

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    I thought when you had a TKR you were not allowed to kneel as I've always told my patients they could not! Unless I've been wrong over the last 26 years but saying that I've not worked for 14 months so things may have changed plus different consultants have their own little ideas
    Maybe because you can kneel then your leg straightening is not as good as you want it to be
    I've now totally confused myself but then that's not saying much
    Maria
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    I was told by the physio that they advised people with TKR's not to kneel, but that was more because in a kneeling position it is too easy for your weight to cause too much bend, and too much bend can damage the back of the implant. Kneeling as such, with legs at 90 degrees, is supposed to be okay - personally I don't like the sensation so don't do it!

Anyway, another thing the physio said was that if you do get a lot of bend (125 degrees plus) sometimes you start to be unable to straighten the joint again.

Elaine, I thought from more recent posts that you were starting to do better? Maybe, while you wait for your appointment, you should give the bending exercises a break, and concentrate on the straightening ones? If all is well with the actual implant, and there isn't scar tissue in the way, there shouldn't be any reason you won't get the leg straight.

Good luck
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Maria

Many people with TKR cannot kneel but I can, have no unpleasant senstations like my dad does, its not a problem to me...Not everyone is the same just like others will have a perfect straight leg and I dont..

Elainexx
    maria09 wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    I thought when you had a TKR you were not allowed to kneel as I've always told my patients they could not! Unless I've been wrong over the last 26 years but saying that I've not worked for 14 months so things may have changed plus different consultants have their own little ideas
    Maybe because you can kneel then your leg straightening is not as good as you want it to be
    I've now totally confused myself but then that's not saying much
    Maria
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Chookgate

Well nobody has told me I cant kneel just it often isn't a nice sensation and to me it makes no difference I can happily retrieve things from under drawers etc...I dont know about too much bend causing damage to implant can ask if go back down..
    I can walk a bit further but still when i come to sit down my leg is stiff and sore as it is every single day, all day...Im wondering if I have scar tissue or like someone else said a lot of gunk in the joint...Either way the pro's are too few for me too think its swinging the right way...
    Thanks for your reply..

Elainexx
    chookgate wrote:
    I was told by the physio that they advised people with TKR's not to kneel, but that was more because in a kneeling position it is too easy for your weight to cause too much bend, and too much bend can damage the back of the implant. Kneeling as such, with legs at 90 degrees, is supposed to be okay - personally I don't like the sensation so don't do it!

Anyway, another thing the physio said was that if you do get a lot of bend (125 degrees plus) sometimes you start to be unable to straighten the joint again.

Elaine, I thought from more recent posts that you were starting to do better? Maybe, while you wait for your appointment, you should give the bending exercises a break, and concentrate on the straightening ones? If all is well with the actual implant, and there isn't scar tissue in the way, there shouldn't be any reason you won't get the leg straight.

Good luck
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    I was told kneeling is fine, and that being able to bend the knee right back as I can is fine too. I've asked the consultant, several physios, and my GP.

Elaine, so sorry to hear about your problems; I do hope you get them sorted out.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi Elaine, I'm sorry things haven't gone as well as you'd hoped.
    At least you've made the decision to start the ball rolling, and hopefully get things sorted.
    I hope it goes well.
    Good luck,
    Numpty
  • blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    Options
    If you read my recent posts my knee has suddenly decided to improve enough for me to kick a football and walk further without too much pain. Riding my bike is a lot easier as well.

In my opinion, and the opinion of other professionals the man who gave me the new knee is the expert in replacing the knee but knows very little about pain. The Pain Clinic are the experts there.

Neither of those know a lot about Physiotherapy that's why they recommend Physio.

Do you get my drift?

I cannot kneel down and my leg is still very stiff but my recent Physio just told me how to walk properly and sit up straight.

Give the exercise and worrying a rest and see what happens.

I still take paracetamol and Tramadol for the pain, if I forget I really know about it.

My TKR was 11 months ago and still not right, but it is improving.

Good luck and take care :D
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Helen

The kneeling is not the problem but at the risk of repeating myself I still feel like its my old knee and didn't expect to be on painkilllers/be so limited as I am...

Elainexx
    I was told kneeling is fine, and that being able to bend the knee right back as I can is fine too. I've asked the consultant, several physios, and my GP.

Elaine, so s

orry to hear about your problems; I do hope you get them sorted out.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Numpty

I will probably get told I am expecting too much of it and if I was in my 60's I would be happy with it...I don't know, someone will call me back this afternoon apparently...

Elainexx
    Hi Elaine, I'm sorry things haven't gone as well as you'd hoped.
    At least you've made the decision to start the ball rolling, and hopefully get things sorted.
    I hope it goes well.
    Good luck,
    Numpty
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Blueknees

I am glad you are getting improvements....I do and don't kind of get your post below I think surgeons must know about pain too surely...I think if gave up exercises it would seize up completely..

Elainexx
    blueknees wrote:
    If you read my recent posts my knee has suddenly decided to improve enough for me to kick a football and walk further without too much pain. Riding my bike is a lot easier as well.

In my opinion, and the opinion of other professionals the man who gave me the new knee is the expert in replacing the knee but knows very little about pain. The Pain Clinic are the experts there.

Neither of those know a lot about Physiotherapy that's why they recommend Physio.

Do you get my drift?

I cannot kneel down and my leg is still very stiff but my recent Physio just told me how to walk properly and sit up straight.

Give the exercise and worrying a rest and see what happens.

I still take paracetamol and Tramadol for the pain, if I forget I really know about it.

My TKR was 11 months ago and still not right, but it is improving.

Good luck and take care :D
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    Just checked with my buddies I'm not losing my marbles TKR can't kneel from my nhs trust amazing how everyone's nhs is different
    Maybe mine had a few bad experiences so are more cautious
    My knees are rubbish! I've not been able to kneel for years and only just have been diagnosed with slight arthritic changes
    At least it got me out of washing patients feet! I hate feet!!
    Maria
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    I hope that you get some answers and some reassuring advice when you get your call back.
    I found it took a long time, maybe even a year before I felt my first hip was `mine`. There are 2 types of recovery, short term which can be up to 6 months (healing of tissues etc..) and long term (mobility recovery, emotional etc...) which can be up to a year or more for some people.
    My hip replacement will never be as good as a healthy real hip, but it is better than my agonising arthritic one was. I still get aches in my replaced hip after 4 years and it tells me if I have pushed it too far. It took me a while to understand the realistic expectations of joint replacement. It doesn`t not always help though when you read or get told about someone who has had a hip replacement (in my case) who is cross country ski ing or climbing mount everest!! I would be happy with a normal life, whatever that is!
    Take care x
    NB
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I hope they are able to help you and get you sorted out. Pain is an awful thing. Let us know what happens this afternoon wont you. Sending some hugs your way to be going on with.
    Karen xx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Maria

Yeah I guess im in a minority but you know I would literally give my right arm (yes I know) if I could swim again, any stroke or get up in the morning and not be stiff, sore and have to steady myself before hobbling to the loo!...
    Feet? Remember me dad with his THR and I had to get on his compression stockngs...His feet are like he is dying from there upwards an they made me squirm...I am of course perfect!

Elainexx
    maria09 wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    Just checked with my buddies I'm not losing my marbles TKR can't kneel from my nhs trust amazing how everyone's nhs is different
    Maybe mine had a few bad experiences so are more cautious
    My knees are rubbish! I've not been able to kneel for years and only just have been diagnosed with slight arthritic changes
    At least it got me out of washing patients feet! I hate feet!!
    Maria
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi NB

I am still waiting, spoke to someone this morning and the guy there Peter will call me back but he will most likely make an outpatients appointment...
    Thanks for saying about the short and long term healing i don't know what i fall into, guess this is all new to me but it does feel like my old arfur leg! I don't think I do push it physically, i don't work but maybe I'm not the best judge of that..I do exercise 4 or 5 days out of 7 but some of that is just gentle walking....I won't ever ski or anything like that, knowing my luck id break me new limb!

Elainexx
    Hi Elaine
    I hope that you get some answers and some reassuring advice when you get your call back.
    I found it took a long time, maybe even a year before I felt my first hip was `mine`. There are 2 types of recovery, short term which can be up to 6 months (healing of tissues etc..) and long term (mobility recovery, emotional etc...) which can be up to a year or more for some people.
    My hip replacement will never be as good as a healthy real hip, but it is better than my agonising arthritic one was. I still get aches in my replaced hip after 4 years and it tells me if I have pushed it too far. It took me a while to understand the realistic expectations of joint replacement. It doesn`t not always help though when you read or get told about someone who has had a hip replacement (in my case) who is cross country ski ing or climbing mount everest!! I would be happy with a normal life, whatever that is!
    Take care x
    NB
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi constable

Thanks for your message, the tablets i take at night are starting to make me feel a bit woollly headed in the mornings....I will update if they call me back today...

Elainexx
    constable wrote:
    Just wanted to say that I hope they are able to help you and get you sorted out. Pain is an awful thing. Let us know what happens this afternoon wont you. Sending some hugs your way to be going on with.
  • blueknees
    Options
    [ text deleted by Moderator: it isn't allowed to name any health professionals or to be critical of them in public]
    YEH

I must add that my new knee looks to be perfectly done, (X-rays prove that), so it is not the new knee that has caused my pain issues but other things besides.

I believe it is a team thing with many members with different qualifications and experiences all playing their part.

Have a try at the Pain Clinic it may sort you out. :)
  • blueknees
    Options
    Apologies for breaching the rules, my point was that the eminent consultant who is brilliant at replacing knees is not so good at pain, that is someone else's department.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Elaine,
    Did you get your phone call back? What did he say?
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Blueknees

I dont believe we have such a thing as a pain clinic here in cumbria, have heard others talk about it but to my knowledge it doesn't exist here....

Elainexx
    blueknees wrote:
    Apologies for breaching the rules, my point was that the eminent consultant who is brilliant at replacing knees is not so good at pain, that is someone else's department.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    HI NB

I carried my phone all day yesterday as went out for a drive but no call back and none today as yet...Hopefully today?

Elainexx
    Hi Elaine,
    Did you get your phone call back? What did he say?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Elaine sorry I am late seeing this I have just come back off my hols
    You have done the right thing contacting the hospital...you obviously think that something isn't quite right.
    Like you say it is all new to you and a learning process..I do hope they ring you back soon...and fingers crossed they put your mind at rest..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Barbara

I haven't heard back since phoning on monday and them promising to call me back that day...Will ring later today as feel I have been forgotten about...
    Trust you had good hols..

Elainexx
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Elaine sorry I am late seeing this I have just come back off my hols
    You have done the right thing contacting the hospital...you obviously think that something isn't quite right.
    Like you say it is all new to you and a learning process..I do hope they ring you back soon...and fingers crossed they put your mind at rest..xx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi All

I had to call back the arthroplasty serivce yesterday as nobody had returned my call on monday...Was on phone for about 10mins and then they just came back and said to book me in to see the consultant on 10th June @ 11am...

Elainexx
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi
    Hopefully you will get the answers you need
    Maria