Carnage

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 15. May 2013, 12:35 in Community Chit-chat archive
Pronounced 'kah/nidge' and defined by me as the 'nidge' caused by cars. Driving to Colchester early yesterday evening the A12 yielded a spread of corpses, namely four pheasants, three deer, two foxes and a number of smaller bodies which might have been dogs, cats or badgers. Returning home this morning (on the other side of the dual carriageway) there were none, which is an oddity.

The stretch of the A12 between Ipswich and Colchester is banded on both sides by countryside, farms and a fair sprinkling of woodland but it was so sad to see all these lovely creatures crushed and splatted by our four-wheeled monsters. I also idly wondered who is responsible for removing the bodies and how they do it. Most were either in the central reservation or on the verge but there some which caused motorists to swerve (another danger if one isn't fully alert). As we approached the Copdock roundabout the large verge and scrub area underneath Toyr R Us and Burger King was swarming with rabbits.

I've been hit by a pheasant (it flew out from a hedge and bounced off the back of my car - it survived) and I guess it's to do with the suddeness which which these creatures appear on the carriageway which has to led to the slaughter. It's a reminder that we are incading their world, we are the interlopers with our metal beasts. The poor things don't stand a chance against us, do they? DD

PS I also found myself doing a ton. :shock: I took the Golf you see, my little car has 100 on the speedo but I doubt she could get there. In his car, however, it was effortless. :oops:
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Our son is a delivery driver all around the south and has been tempted to put pictures on the van door of his " victims " ! Jillyb
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    PS I also found myself doing a ton. :shock: I took the Golf you see, my little car has 100 on the speedo but I doubt she could get there. In his car, however, it was effortless. :oops:

:shock: :shock: :o Go DD! 8) :lol:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Aww how sad :(

I remember seeing lots of honey-bunnies on the verge of the A12 when I lived down that way.

So sad - it is upsetting I think rangers remove deer - well they do here anyway.

love

Toni xx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Yes DD, it is very sad to see them like that. And you are right. It is our fault with all the cars on the roads which go through the land where they live.

We, in our small town, are objecting en masse to a great number of housing planning proposals which have been put in to our council as most of them want to build on green land, one in particular which is a wildlife haven and part of the Tees Heritage Trail. If this goes ahead, deer, badgers, rabbits and more will be chased from where they live. Several deer have recently been killed on the road near there as it is. I think this sort of thing is going on all over the country. It is so sad.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Pronounced 'kah/nidge' and defined by me as the 'nidge' caused by cars. Driving to Colchester early yesterday evening the A12 yielded a spread of corpses, namely four pheasants, three deer, two foxes and a number of smaller bodies which might have been dogs, cats or badgers.

You don't suppose there might be a connection here, do you :lol: ie others find themselves doing a ton too...and then find themselves creating new corpses?

I love the definition.

I'm also reminded of all those roads that are named after the natural features which were destroyed in order to make them. We have friends living in streets named 'Laurel, Smallbrook, Ponyfield, Hawthorn, Townsgreen, Longfield, Eastfields, Coppicewood, Moorside snd others.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I love seeing the bunnies on the side of the road, you would think the wildlife would realise by now that those huge metal things are dangerous and when they are on the road it is too dangerous to cross!! Unless they are just playing chicken with the traffic!!

My darling OH has been doing 120mph in his new toy (an Audi TT) he did 100mph the day we got it when we where driving home on a dual carriage way!! I told him to be careful otherwise he will get a ticket and a fine plus points on his licence he has no points on.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    My ex managed 140 mph on the M4 once. It wasn't the speed that bothered me but the chance of another car pulling into the fast lane to overtake and not realising a car was bearing down at 140 mph as you wouldn't be expecting that. (I don't condone it BTW. I was a passenger).

Do you think I could do a Huhne on him and report him all these years later?

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think tunnels have been put in place in the past, Unsure, but as no-one tells the hedgehogs, toads et al that they're there they don't use 'em. :wink:

Some animals have a form of intelligence (e.g. horses, rats, pigs, monkeys) but surely instinct is the main driving force; the ability to correlate between thundering traffic and instant death is not an easy connection to make. Humans struggle with it at times.

As for speeding it is so easily done, I have found myself doing 40 when it should be 30 but that's entirely due to lack of focus on my part. Driving is such an automatic skill that sometimes we forget to concentrate as we should. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben