Helpful medication for arthritic pain

Options
Lacura
Lacura Member Posts: 13
edited 19. May 2013, 14:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
When I wake up each morning, my hips, thighs and knees are so stiff and burn that it's hard not to cry out in pain. I slowly manage to loosen up by bringing my knees up and gently lowering them a dozen times. With my morning cuppa (hubby's treat to me!) I take 2 Zapain and 1 Diazepam, plus 1 Amitriptyline. After a mini brekkie I take 1 Naproxen. That's it for pain relief. I take other meds for BP and IBS but this is all for pain.

Nowadays, I repeat the dose of Zapain every 3 hours and take my 2nd and last Naproxen in the evening. 2 Amitriptyline at night to help me sleep.

This might seem a lot of meds but believe me, I am only just coping on this amount! What do the rest of the group take, and have you any suggestions for medication that works better than the list above.

Thank you guys!

Lacura x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Pain relief is a very individual thing. Currently I'm doing well and, on a good day, I can get away without any. Usually it's a couple of co-codamol going to bed and, if needed, I try to limit , yself to paracetamol in between rathee than more cocos. When necessary, before and after ops, I take what's needed bu aim to reduce again asap.

I've never had thigh pain even just before hip replacements. Have you been given exercises by a physio, Lacura? Bringing uour knees up and down will probably loosen things up a bit but there aee better ones which, done regularly, ought to help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I take up to four cocodamols per day (30/500 strength) and one diclofenac per day. I know that nothing shifts the pain as much as I would like (all the drugs in the world won't do that) so I just get on with things as best I can. I hurt therefore I am. :wink: If things do deteriorate at least I have other avenues which remain open, such as tramadol, slow release tramadol and extra diclos, but if I took those all the time where would I turn? It's an individual matter but my choice is to get by on as little as possible. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    If I listed the meds I'm on it would fill the whole page lacura!! I take 14 different meds a day (I wrote 13 yesterday in a post but I missed one!!) It all depends on who you are and what medical problems you have as to what medication you take, someone may just take 1 tablet a day or someone else several. I have to live with several illnesses on top of Osteoporosis and Arther so I rattle when I walk!!
  • Lacura
    Lacura Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks. That seems pretty straightforward!!

Today I had my first physio session. She gently massaged my shoulders and spine and gave me 6 exercises to do, 10 of each morning and evening - 120!! Easy ones though! :o

I am a bit sore from the physio and have been covered with wheat bags all afternoon, but hopefully, the ex. will get me in the right direction.

She said I had severe muscle spasm plus spinal something or other, on top of arthritis. Needless to say I felt much older coming home that going!!! :lol:

Thanks again! :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    The exercises will help but it mightn't seem like it at first :roll: as you start to use muscles that have been asleep for some time. Keeping the muscles strong will mean that they support your joints better. This, in turn, means that the joints hurt less. However, it's a case of no pain, no gain. It can help to take some pain relief before embarking on the exercises. Give it enough time to start working before you begin. Go gently at first to build up strength. I hope they help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • merri
    merri Member Posts: 190
    Options
    Sometimes I think you have to trial different pain meds until you find those that suit you. I'm on 10mg per hour BuTrans patch, 2 Amitriptyline and Sertraline at night, plus adhoc Cocodamol and Tramadol depending how I am.