Ill health retirement-stress free

Options
lulubell69
lulubell69 Member Posts: 110
Hi folks
I'm 44, RA for 9 years and I've really struggled to stay in my job for 10 years. In total my sickness has amounted to about 4.5 years. Long story. Anyway, on day in February I struggled into work,burst into tears, collapsed into the nearest chair, held my hands up and said 'that's it, I've had enough'. Within 3 hours my manager had me at HR where I stated (rather bravely) I wanted I'll health retirement, tier 1. One stress free medical, letter from my consultant, and woohoo, I was offered tier 1.
I was given figures for a weekly pension and lump sum and nearly fell off my chair. They've made a mistake I thought so I rang them to confirm. Sure enough, she said there had been a discrepancy and they were checking it out - just my luck!
A week later I received a letter informing me that my lump sum had INCREASED by over £2000 as well as an increase in my weekly pension.
No stress, no problems, doctor lovely. Wish I could say the same for my next battle - ESA. Arghhhh.

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    My how lucky you were most of us have to fight to get our pensions I'm so glad it was plain sailing
    ESA is another matter they will say you are fit for work even with tier 1 for them it's all about saving money
    Good luck
    Maria
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Well done you! That first admission that it's time to go is so hard, but doesn't it feel good when you get there and say it. So here's to a long, fulfilling and happy future! :)
    I took early retirement back in March and feel better than I have for years, and folks who know me well keep commenting on how well and relaxed I look now. I finally feel like I'm starting to take back a bit of control over my life- I may not be able to control the RA, but I can be gentle with myself when it's grotty, and take time to enjoy the good days.

Deb xx
  • lulubell69
    lulubell69 Member Posts: 110
    Options
    Thanks folks
    Hopefully I will have a long and pain free retirement.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Well done it took me over 4 years and it nearly finished me off mentally but Ive been retired for just under 2 years, thing is a lot of people where I worked treated me as if I was making it up and a few tried to mentally break me so I'd leave but I had no where to go I was stuffed so I just hung on hoping I'd not get sacked before the place shut but in the end I was saved, not sure I'd trade my health for this life though but a lot of people look down on those who have loads of pain but no physical signs of disability other than a limp.
    I do hope my old line manager and the queen bitch from HR get terminal piles sooner rather than later the soulless sociopaths, If I ever bump into them I'll give them a piece of my mind thats for sure. Sorry rant over!.
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Mellman
    I totally agree may they rot in hell!!
    I'm so glad lulu it was easy for you there are too many of us on here that have gone to hell and back
    Enjoy your retirement
    Mine is full of appointments and surgery hopefully in a year from now I will be able to enjoy it
    Maria