Retired on ill health

Options
lulubell69
lulubell69 Member Posts: 110
edited 15. May 2013, 15:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks - just thought I'd share my good news.
I'm 44, RA for 9 years and I've really struggled to stay in my job for 10 years. In total my sickness has amounted to about 4.5 years. Long story. Anyway, on day in February I struggled into work,burst into tears, collapsed into the nearest chair, held my hands up and said 'that's it, I've had enough'. Within 3 hours my manager had me at HR where I stated (rather bravely) I wanted I'll health retirement, tier 1. One stress free medical, letter from my consultant, and woohoo, I was offered tier 1.
I was given figures for a weekly pension and lump sum and nearly fell off my chair. They've made a mistake I thought so I rang them to confirm. Sure enough, she said there had been a discrepancy and they were checking it out - just my luck!
A week later I received a letter informing me that my lump sum had INCREASED by over £2000 as well as an increase in my weekly pension.
No stress, no problems, doctor lovely. Wish I could say the same for my next battle - ESA. Arghhhh.

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm glad the company you worked for where so good about you retiring on health grounds and made it as stress free as they could and also shocked you in a nice way with the settlement and pension. I wish you luck with the ESA take a deep breath before tackling the forms!!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Ah lulubell

Congratulations to you. :D I am sure you won't regret it the vast vast majority of the time. Overall it is far better to be able to rset when you need to and not drag yourself in to work.

Gives you time to join us lot on here too :wink:

Good luck with the ESA. Let us know how you get on.

Love

Toni xx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Congratulations lulubell, I am very pleased for you, get the CAB to help you with the forms as they are doing it day in day out, good luck and let us know how you get on............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles