What is the point of brie?

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 16. May 2013, 16:48 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've just eaten the last (Thank God!) of that left from our party. Parties are the only time I ever buy it because I know some people like it.

My fingers aren't tough enough to spread it even minimally and, if I try slicing it, it superglues itself to the knife. And, at the end of all my efforts, it tastes of nothing much at all. I had to add some delicious sun dried tomatoes to cure that.

For me, there are only two cheeses - mature cheddar and, for treats, mature (Better still, extra mature) blue stilton. Oh and the absolutely gorgeous Dorset Blue Vinny when it can be got.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I usually only buy brie when I'm in France. It's a lot tastier than the stuff we get here. Also, I think it needs proper French bread, again, much better than the stuff we get here. I am just talking French sticks here, I love proper English loaves too.
    I agree, you can't beat a good cheddar, or Stilton for taste.
    That's it, I'm hungry again now. :roll:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Brie is bliss on a matzos, as is camembert - that's best left out of the fridge until it is crawling towards you. :wink: I also like cheshire, very mature cheddar, hard cheeses such as mmental and gruyere but stilton? Nah. DD

PS I don't understand cheese with added bits of fruit. Wensleydale and apricot? WHY?
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    I enjoy a bit of blue brie but I don't buy it often

Fruit in cheese DD, I'm with you on that one, I'd rather have fruit/grapes on the side
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Brie does taste better in France ,here it's like chalk.extra mature cheddar is our favourite but I like Stilton now and again with celery and grapes.Fruit in cheese a big no no.Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    What about the 'fake' cheees? Mr DD has a soft spot for Dairylea and I love processed cheese squares (I haven't had any for years because they bear as much resemblence to cheese as snails to Formula One racing) but there is something atrociously gorgeous about them. For this reason I have yet to succumb to cheese strings (but I bet they'm lovely too).

Mexicana? Cor! In my book anything with chilli is good. Yesterday I bought some strong cheddar with added spring onion and a smoked cheddar, both are scrummy. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Liquid brie? I thought one had to be wary of soft cheeses. I always bin it after a couple of days.

Unsure, I do the camembert with garlic thing but have never thought to add white wine :oops: I certainly shall next time.

I always found Wensleydale a nothing cheese until a cousin brought me a full, wax-sealed one. That was lovely.

Cheese with fruit in, I agree, is pointless. I once put stilton on a shopping list (for me there's only blue) and my sister brought back white stilton with apricots. Definitely not.

I dislike Gorgonzola and Danish Blue. I find them a bit harsh.

As for the strings - my daughter-in-law used to give them to my little grandson as they didn't make his hands sticky and were reasonably indestructible. 'Nuff said :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Deep fried camembert in breadcrumbs with redcurrant jelly for me, not a great fan of brie but give me mature cheddar any day xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Stickywicket :shock:

I ADORE the stuff - the riper the better. I can, (and have eaten), a whole round to myself. Proper belly ache in the morning though :?

I love all cheese except for ones with inappropriate things added like fruit :roll:

love

Toni xxx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    JUst eaten a vast quantity of brie :D

YUM :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Cor, lucky girl! I'm going through a Cheshire phase at the moment. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'll be scoffing the last of the stilton later before my son arrives later in the week to do it for me. (He's a helpful chap :lol: )
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Get in! I can no longer cope with port but I have fond memories of extra mature cheddar with a drop or two of the ruby stuff. DD
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Unsure wrote:
    More than likely to be White Port DD, mind you I do have a 1963 vintage port but am saving that.

Gosh unsure! fifty years old! :shock:

Wonder what sort of occasion will be worthy of that :shock:
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I hate cheese but buy my wife a lump a week, usually a different one at a time. Coming from a family of cheeselovers I put up with their comments but what sort of mind invented the stuff??? YUK!