HELP!!! Renting and DSS

Options
Sezeelson
Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
edited 20. May 2013, 16:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
:cry:

Why is it so hard to rent while on benefits?? I've really had enough of being turned down and actually feel discriminated against as I have no option of coming of these benefits because of my disabilities :| I don't have a choice.

I have dog, I thought this would be a huge issue! But I don't even get a chance to explain that I have a dog as I get a flat out NO once I explain DSS.

I've been told to look privately on gum tree etc. but it's all the same, no DSS.

My mum has leant me the deposit I need and a very close friend has even offered up to £100 per month to help me find the perfect house for me and my pooch...

I just don't know what to do now? Should I go through the council instead? I'm prepared to call and demand help as I really need a place of my own, somewhere I can make my own space and adapted for my mental and physical health. It's all getting to much and I'm scared of a relapse from my mental health issues.

Does anyone have any advise for me?????

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

I take it you have checked your local papers etc, all I can suggest is keep looking as there are people out there who do take dss, my block of flats all privately owned have now got two dss tenants, it will take you an age to get anything from your council, I would get the forms and put your name on the list anyway, hope you get your problem sorted out soon.................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hi. I can really understand why you are so fed up. It is extremely unfair for people to discriminate against people who receive benefits. Of course you want your beloved pet with you. I am sure he/she must be a lovely companion for you.

Many years ago as a result of my personal circumstances (which I won't bore you with), I had to find private rented accommodation for myself and 2 children. We were lucky enough to find a landlord who was extremely understanding (NOTE to landlords - not everyone one benefits is an 'unsuitable' tenant). Eventually, after I had enlisted the help of my local M.P, we were lucky enough to be offered a house with the local Housing Association.

My advice to you is to possible contact the CAB, your local council, possibly a local councillor or even your M.P. If you have a helpful GP, maybe he/she might be able to write a letter for you or possibly refer you to someone who can help you.

You will need to be persistent, which is not easy when you have health/or other issues to deal with, as I know from my own past experience.

I do hope you can make some progress soon. Please let us know how you get on.

Take care. Beryl
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Well, I agree with Beryl. Go to Citizens Advice. I am in a Housing association house. Have been for nearly 17 years now. I know things were done differently then, but I had to make myself homeless for them to offer me a flat. And after quite some time, I got married and got pregnant and again had to move. But this time we had a dog. This is when we were offered a house( mark you, we only have a back yard, no garden as such).

I think nowadays they tend to put you into temporary places, so you might need to have a friend look after you're dog for a while. But that is down here in Kent, it could be totally different in you're area.

I really wish you all the luck and please keep us up to date on how things go for you. I for one would love to hear how you get on. And look forward to hearing that you have found a place for you and you're dog.
    Karen xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Sezeelson

I also agree that you ought to be getting some proper help with your housing issues.

Landlords are probably just anxious that benefits mean they won't get their rent. The reverse is really the case.

If you start with CAB they will be able to tell you whether you are entitled to help with housing via the housing dept having health issues.

Love and luck

Toni xx
  • Sezeelson
    Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
    Options
    Hi everyone

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and your great advice!

I will be going to citizens advice first thing Monday morning to get some real help!!

I understand why landlords may not be to keen on DSS but to not even take into consideration as to why they are on benefits i think is very wrong. It has been almost impossible for me to live as normal life as I can, I'm constantly fighting for my benefits as I cannot work (I have tried), constantly fighting to get help from my local rheumy team who seem to be absolutely useless! Back and forth between mental health teams as no one really knows what to do with me... Now fighting for somewhere to live so I don't end up living in my car :/

It's a constant battle and I feel as though I'm being punished for something I have no choice over! Hopefully things will start going my way soon, having somewhere safe and reliable to live will have such a huge positive impact on my life I'm going to do everything I can to make it as quick as possible. Even if that means calling them up every single day!!
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hi. Just popped by to wish you luck with getting everything sorted. Let us know how you get on. Just keep pestering everyone you can and 'GOOD LUCK'. Beryl
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I don't know what is available were you live but in my area you can get on the council list as someone with health needs. I think you get priority over people without. Worth phoning them up to see if you qualify.
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Just wondered if you have made any appointments yet. I am sure you will get all the help and advice you will need. And keep you're doggy. When I did move into our house, they had to give us a house as we had our dog at the time. I would never have let him go.

And I totally understand how you are feeling regarding benefits. We feel the same, one minute they tell you you have to pay one amount, then once you start paying it, they send a revised paper where you have to pay more. We are always checking and re-checking. It does get very stressful.
    Karen xx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    I can't add anything else
    Just offering my support
    Maria
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    put your name down with the council, some council hold lists of landlords who accept dss tenants, speak to cab and your local mp. i know some landlords dont accept dss as they get paid 4 weeks in arrears not advance like working tenants, good luck with it all xx