Update on RTHR recovery

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 21. May 2013, 08:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I am now 18 days post op, and think I am doing well so far. I had a long visit from the district nurse on Monday, to check my wound, remove the dressing and review my progress. She was very friendly, and made me smile when she said the obligatory, " OOOh you are young to have this done!" To which I replied, "HMM well I am 4 years older than when I had my other one done!!" :roll: :D
The wound had dissolvable stitches and glue, so removal of anything required. She gave me the green light to have a shower (hooray) but not to scrub the area (as if!)
I am still needing regular pain relief, but the pain is not the awful arthur pain. My lumbar spine is still a problem, but I was found to have OA and bulging discs on MRI in December. This makes sleeping on my back uncomfortable,and I am needing to get up a couple of times in the night to ease this. I am walking with the 2 elbow crutches , and weather permitting I am having short walks outside too. The swelling is going down, and I am able to bend my knee slightly now, which makes going up the stairs easier.
I feel that there is a little improvement each day, and I am happy with each `little` improvement I make. It is frustrating as recovery is slow, but it is MAJOR surgery, as Mr NB keeps reminding me! We are getting into a little routine now in a morning, brew in bed, tablets, shower, sit down on perch stool , dry hair, get dressed slowly using grabber/helping hand device, go downstairs, Mr NB puts on clean Ted stockings, and finally breakfast and another brew :D All in a record time of 2 hours!!!!! :lol::lol:
I hope you are all feeling OK xx
NB

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done so far NB you are doing well and Mr NB ,what would we do without them.(((()))) Mig
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    You seem to be doing really well NB.
    I'm very pleased for you.
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    NB

It sounds as if things are going very well indeed for you and the shower will be like manna from heaven, to be clean again!...Your routine made me chuckle, we all get them after having an operation don't we..I started watching christmas movies at the beginning of november it was driving my family mad getting up at 8am....

Elainexx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    'Slowly slowly gettee better' (rather than catchee monkey) seems to be the phrase on here at the moment. Well done to you, NB, I am pleased to hear about your progress. Well done to you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Mr NB puts on clean Ted stockings

Can we have the pics :lol:

NB, I'm sorry I've managed to miss all your updates so far. Mr SW had a big birthday and between that, and the party, the celebrations went on for nearly a week :D (It was a good week :lol: )

Anyway, I see you've managed to do everything well without any input from me so just carry on. And, well done :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    You are doing really well. I was so relieved to be allowed my first shower! Bet you couldn't wait? DD is right about the slowly slowly thing - I liked that!
    :D
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Thank you Frogmella, Sticky, DD, Elaine,Mig, and Numpty for your replies and support xx
    Sticky, i hope the birthday celebrations went well!! :D Also not sure I could inflict a pic of my pasty pins having the Ted stockings wrestled into on anybody!! My Mum informed me that my legs needed shaving earlier this week. Hmm thanks for that! Not exactly top of my list at the moment :roll:
    I had a lovely visit from a couple of girls from work today. It was lovely to catch up, and filled my empty day . I got a gorgeous bouquet of fresh flowers and a lovely card with cheery messages in. I also got a delish bottle of flavoured cider (elderflower and lime) which is a bit of a private joke between me and one of the girls. I will save that for when I have reduced the pain killers!
    DD I am doing everything slowly, i promise :wink:
    Elaine, I was off at the same time as you last Oct/Nov and was watching the Christmas film channel 24/7!! This time I am watching cable channels of far too expensive houses, i haven`t got the patience for films yet.
    I am now well and truly shattered after my entertaining ( well they brought their own sandwiches and I pointed them in the direction of the kettle, hostess with the mostest me, not!!)
    So feet up and eyelids drooping.........zzzzzz
    Take care all xx
    NB
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Keep up the good work NB. You are doing really really well. You'll be back on top in no time. Sending you some hugs because of you're good progress.
    Karen xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Nicola I am so very pleased for you, after all that rotten pain you had..now there is light at the end of the tunnel...I suppose you now need building up and having plenty of rest has well as the exercise....you take care of yourself and please keep the updates coming...and don't think they all have to be good...you know I will be picking your brains very soon...(((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Barbara
    Thanks for your reply xx
    I am having some up and down days, but it is still early days for recovery yet I guess.
    I am still struggling with the sleep thing, and a shooting pain in my thigh joined the back pain. I had hardly any sleep last night so look and feel like a zombie! The shooting pains are horrible, making me jump and my leg is not wanting to move quickly when I `jump`. I have had a quiet day with reading, and dozing being the order of the day.
    It is sinking in that I have 2 false hips. A strange thought. Not one I anticipated when I was younger, but something that will hopefully give me a new lease of life in the end. The light is there at the end of the tunnel , Barbara, but still a long way off yet I think :roll:
    Take care all xx
    NB
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You're right, it's early days, NB, but it's looking good. I never got the shooting pains but then I don't really have any back problems to start off with. I do think it's very easy, post op, to lie or sit for too long on the wrong bits and especially after a THR with all the compulsory sleeping on the back.

(The party was great, thanks.)
    Steven Wright
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    It is amazing how much we sleep after surgery. I am still having a kip in the afternoons a few times a week! Your body is doing a lot of mending and that takes energy.
    It is good to hear that you are doing well. Keep up the good work! :) (())
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Frogmella,
    I had quite a good night`s sleep last night, first time since..........erm I can`t remember! :lol: I still woke to change position etc.. but feel less groggy this morning. So now I have to remind myself NOT to do too much today because I feel a bit better!!
    I had a nice walk outside yesterday afternoon with my Mum. Just on my street and round the corner , on the flat. It is the furthest I have walked and I was pleased with myself. My knee was hurting afterwards as I am not walking `normally`, still have a big limp well, lurch! So this is putting strain on my knee. I have to try to remind myself to walk `heel-toe` but it is hard and I find I just flop my foot down toe first if not thinking. Maybe this long walk was why I managed to sleep a bit better? Not expecting a walk outside today as it is wet outside and I am home alone today, and I don`t feel confident enough to walk outside unaccompanied.
    I hope you are still recovering well too x
    NB
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm glad you managed a walk outside, NB, but you're right - I, too, found that walking 'properly' post TKR, was difficult as I was so not used to it. It's not so bad indoors to keep one's mind on the job at hand but harder outside where other factors come into play - uneven surfaces plus the distraction of conversation, flowers etc. I think you're right not to tackle it alone though just yet and probably a good idea not to get carried away with success anyway :lol: Keep up the good work and I hope you sleep OK tonight.
    Steven Wright