Stupid question but.....

Options
mazbaz
mazbaz Member Posts: 38
edited 28. May 2013, 17:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Stupid question but as am kinda new to all this RA stuff , does anyone ever get better from RA?????

I was kinda hopin( crazy optimistic fool!!) that because mine was as a result of trauma, it might one day settle and go away again as suddenly as it came ??

Is that even possible? Does anyone know anyone who has recovered from it ?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I guess it depends what you mean better, mazbat. I've not heard of anyone being cured but people can and do go into remission. It takes time to het the right combination of meds and more time for them to work at their best but, sometimes, good things do happen. Remember, those of us, on here are here for a reason. The ones who are doing really well are out there living their lives and not needing this forum. It might be you soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Unsure wrote:
    I am convinced my RA was started that way too but most rheumatologists poo poo the idea.

OA can definitely set in at a trauma site and there is ReA (Reactive Arthritis) which arises from an infection and does, sometimes, subsequently go away again.

I've not heard before of anyone getting RA as a result of trauma but one or two women first develop it after childbirth and that can be traumatic for some.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There are no stupid questions on here - it's all part of the process in learning about the new twist your life has taken. RA is an auto-immune form of arthritis - it certainly thrives on stress and maybe you had a dose of that after the injury. After a lifetime of dealing with asthma and eczema I shouldn't have been surprised when my psoriatic arthritis began but I was. :roll: I now have OA in a few joints thanks to the damage caused by my PsA so I know for sure that I won't be getting better; knowing that saves a deal of stress. DD

PS I know of someone on here whose RA is so well controlled by a very small dose of methotrexate that he could be termed as 'better'. (He might even have been taken off it now, I cannot remember.)
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lily
    lily Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Hi

I had this conversation with my consultant and her answer was it could start with trauma, i asked because i suffered dv throughout my marriage and although noone can prove it she did say it can bring on arthritis, My consultant asked me what i would do if i could prove this and i said that i only wanted to know for my own good, not to do anything with it but i just needed to know,

I have a feeling that it was indeed started with trauma but i need to let that go and start to look after myself

take care
    Lily x
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Hi Lily,
    Welcome to the forum, sorry you've needed to join :(
    So far there is no known cause of RA there are lots of theories about what triggers it and stress, viral infection, trauma and hormonal upset are all mentioned as possible triggers. Unfortunately there is no cure just meds to help manage disease activity and hopefully cause remission. As said reactive arthritis may disappear but full blown RA is lifelong.
    There are better and newer drugs appearing all the time and lots of research so we all hope for some curative solution, genetic engineering is advancing so who knows we may find a cure one day.

Is hard to accept that we just don't know the cause but as you say you have to move on and focus on adjusting to living with RA.

We're all here if u need a shoulder to lean on or a good moan!!

Good luck.x
  • osgood82
    osgood82 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I was told 4 years ago that I had RA......the pain and discomfort lasted for 4 months before easing and eventually completely going away. I was able to get back to my regular routine and get back to playing sport.

I caught a viral infection 3 weeks ago and unfort the RA has now come back. I have inflammation in the lower back, buttock and pelvis which is now making it increasingly hard to walk. My advice is to try and keep to your usual life style as much as possible to avoid additional stiffness.

My initial bout of RA was the hardest as I was not given the right advice for some time. I was signed off work for 2 months and most of that time was bed rest. I lost 2 stone and my walking became so painful I avoided it which made things worse.

This time I have stayed at work and made sure that I move often to ensure that my joints to seize up. Im positive that in time I will come through this latest batch of RA, its just a question of when.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hello Osgood42. It's nice to meet you. I wonder if you've got the initials right. RA is our usual abbreviation for Rheumatoid Arthritis. Yours sounds more like ReA ie Reactive Arthritis. i hope it goes away again for you.
    Steven Wright