medication

Options
Suelizabeth
Suelizabeth Member Posts: 4
edited 18. May 2013, 08:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi out there. I have been recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis and have been given a choice of medications:
Hydroxychloroquine,Sulfasalazine and Methotrexate. Any advise? :?:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Suelizabeth and welcome to the forum.

Most of us started on one or other of these meds and many are on a combination, sometimes of all three. I take meth and hydroxy to good effect. They all seem a bit daunting at first but you will be well-monitored with blood tests while on them.

You may well find that, whichever you plump for, you'll have to move on to another. Some help some people and others others. There's no telling in advance.

If I was starting all over again I'd just ask my rheumatologist which he/she would go for and why.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Sue..
    And welcome to the forum, only I am sorry you had to look for us in the first place...sorry I cant offer any help I have OA, but you will find lots of info on the forum..and get support ..its hard when first diagnosed..so talking will be a big help..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I take sulphasalazine and meth. I began with sulph but that didn't achieve much, so the meth was added. During the course of the past seventeen years I've taken other meds too.

We all vary so much in how we react to the meds - what suits one person may not suit another so don't take too much notice when people tell you that drug A is utterly marvellous whereas drug B did nothing - you could well find it the other way round. Good luck, chat it over with your rheumatologist and I hope you find the one that not only suits but helps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Hi, I started on methotrexate and it was great for me for 7 years, also had hydroxy with it but kept forgetting to take it then realised it made no difference to me anyway after restarting it 4 times! When my son was born started methotrexate again but after increased dose and injection it just hasn't worked effectively for me, tried sulphasalazine but made me depressed. Am now starting anti tnf biologic so hoping I will respond and get back to 'normal' whatever that is for RA!

I think its a bit 'pot luck' which you respond to, hydroxy is perhaps the mildest dmard and if u can be controlled on it then great but I think most need either meth or sulpha.
    Fingers crossed u respond quickly.x
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I take sulphasalazine and meth. I began with sulph but that didn't achieve much, so the meth was added. During the course of the past seventeen years I've taken other meds too.

I am the same & started RA in mid 90s , Meth is a much better drug if you can get on with it so would recommend that to try first
  • MrOptimist
    MrOptimist Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Sulphasalazine is effective in up to 70% of patients after therapy for one year. Response to treatment may not be expected for 3 months and might not occur until after 6 months of therapy.

Methotrexate has a long term tolerability which is better than that of Sulphasalazine. Response to treatment cannot be expected before 2 months and may not occur until after 6 months.

Hydroxychloroquine is also used in the treatment of systemic lupus erthematosis.

Response to each and every drug will differ from one person to the next. Your rheumatologist is the best person to advise you :). I hope everything goes well for you.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    This is just a welcome to the forum and I hope you get some answers.
    I have OA so not much help to you
    Love
    Hileena
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to say welcome to the forum.

I take all three of those drugs in combination, started with Plaquinel, the they added in sulfa salazine, and now methotrexate. I think most folks take a combination of drugs, but if you read around you will often see Methotrexate described as the "gold standard" for initial treatments.
    What ever you decide, it's good to take advice from the Rheumatologist and keep asking questions until you understand what is going on!!!!!

Deb xx :)
  • Suelizabeth
    Suelizabeth Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you everyone, its a bit daunting when your Rheumatologist tells you to go away and choose so its helpful to hear your opinions- I will take bits of all of your advise and ask many more questions <(")
  • Niccymck
    Niccymck Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi there,
    I would definitely go for Methotrexate. I have been on all the others and metho has been the most effective for me. I got down to taking 7.5mg which is quite low and it worked for me.
    If you can stomach it without any major side effects it is really effective.
    All the best!