Two small words "thank you".

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 21. May 2013, 16:25 in Community Chit-chat archive
The two small words "thank you" mean so much to any recipient. What do you do when they are never forthcoming from the same person, whether you buy them a gift or take them out for a meal.

It seems so rude to me never to say "thank you" and just take instead.

Janet xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It’s always nice to be thanked and always good to thank but, as with many things, I guess it depends on the person and the situation.

Some people will go into raptures about a gift without ever actually using the two words ‘thank you’. My aged mother was more likely to tell me I shouldn’t have spent my money on her and/or to ask how much it cost :roll: It was a ‘thank you’ of sorts :lol:

If it’s one particular person who is the culprit, I’d be asking myself if they really wanted what I was giving them – or maybe if they deserved it. If one has a good relationship with someone who is just naturally remiss about such things one can always gently chide them. (“Doesn’t it deserve a ‘thank you’, then?)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Janet I am a stickler for this...I made sure my sons always said thank you and now my grandchildren..its just a small thing that can mean so much...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Regret to say it is our son's girlfriend. She has never thanked my hubby and myself for anything. We had a family birthday lunch last weekend and when I asked her what she thought of the restaurant her reply was "it's not bad but I don't like their Sunday lunch menu." It was her birthday a couple of weeks ago and I'm still waiting for some sort of acknowledgement re the two presents we gave her.

Janet xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I to like to hear the words 'thank you' when they should be said. My O.H and I are always thanking each other but when it's a relatives birthday or Christmas and we go out the way to buy a card and present and we don't hear the words 'thank you' it really grinds at us.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    Janet

I think she is a bit rude to be honest, unless she is just very shy???

I suppose it does show a poor upbringing doesn't it? I was brought up to always thank people usually in writing for gift, but these days :roll:

Probably I am a bit 'Enid Blyton' :oops:

I think you can either

1. Ignore it and refuse to be offended
    2. Tell son about it and ask what he thinks
    3. Effusively that her for ANYTHING she gives to you or does for you
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    My son-on-law says that there is no need to say thank you if it is family as it is a given. My daughter and I told him we disagree. We feel it is good to be polite even to family. My daughter told him she was brought up properly and so will still thank him if he does something for her. He does say it now when I'm around.
    Christine
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    i tell my kids please and thank you cost nothing but can mean a million dollars to the person you say it too.
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    My dad always instilled in me the power of 'thank you'. It is something my kids all say even after their meals. My OH is the same and always thanks me when I've cooked or made a coffee. In fact even when I travelled ( in my former life I travelled quite extensively) no matter where I was in the world I learnt the words Thank you in the native language and have always taught them to the kids when we went on foreign holidays.

I was once asked by a 'parent' of a pupil at a secondary school I worked in " when ya gonna teach my kid some manners?" there really is no hope for some people is there?

Manners cost nothing but are priceless.

Love Kate x
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Both me and my hubby were bought up to have respect and show respect and we have passed it onto our girls. We often get people remarking that both of them are so polite and well mannered, which I for one find very pleasing. I do feel that nowadays those words are not being taught to be used enough.
    Karen xx