Methotrexate V Pregnancy

Options
Niccymck
Niccymck Member Posts: 6
edited 21. May 2013, 14:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there,
I am 27 and have had arthritis in my right knee since I was 11. 5 years ago I was put on methotrexate which has worked wonders for me.
8 months ago I made the decision to come off so my husband and I could have a baby. The first 3 months I was amazing, but since then, I have had such an extreme flare that the arthritis is now in both knees and it is seriously effecting my life. I was put on Salazopyrin which has made no difference at all. I am now back on methotrexate (waiting for it to start working). Since I am only 27 I am feeling ok about delaying having a baby, but I am wondering what I will do in a few years when we decide to have a baby again. Has anyone been on anything that has worked while trying for a baby.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi niccymck, it's good to meet you. I'm sorry you flared once the meth had left your body. It does make sense that, if it helped so much while you were on it, its absence would have a big impact too.

When I had my two sons, about 40 years ago, I'd to manage on soluble aspirin and it waa very, very tough. Now, I think it's normal to put people on steroids. Our LignumVitae recently had twins and ahe was on steroids but, like many of us, flared afterwards so she had to go back on the meth.

I wouldn't be without my two sons but I would advise anyone with arthritis to think hard about having children. It's hard graft all the way.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    Hi Niccyhick

It's lovely to meet you.

Yes at 27 you still ahve 'plenty' of time, but clearly you are worried about it. There are a few threads from people who have had babies off meds or on various assortments (I think some did try sulpha, some v low dose steroids I think :? )

so I suggest you do a search (top Rt hand corner) and have a read.

To keep you feeling optimistic there are a fair few 'forum' babies around now :D

Sorry welcome to our forums from me

Love

Toni xx
  • Niccymck
    Options
    Thank you both so much for your replies. It is so nice having people to talk to about this as I have felt very alone for some time now. I will do a baby search, thanks.

Nicola xxx
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Hi Nicola,
    My son is 2 now and I was on meth before coming off to conceive. Have been uncontrolled since:( at the time my rheumy said I could be on sulphasalazine and hydroxychloroquinine whilst TTC if needed, luckily not then but we tried for #2 b4 Xmas and I came off mtx and tried them both to no avail. Got preg then mismiscarriage at 12 weeks been horribly flared since so starting anti tnf now.
    You can have depomedrone if needed or low dose steroids though they prefer to depo I think while TTC and when preg.
    Otherwise its good old paracetamol which if ur like me does b&%#er all!!
    Good luck lets hope we have new bundles of joy v soon.xx
  • Niccymck
    Options
    Thanks so much for your reply and I am so sorry for your loss. Yes I totally agree with you that paracetamol does jack all!!!
    I have just restarted mtx 2 weeks ago and am hoping desperately that it will kick in very soon.
    All the best with the anti tnf, I'd love to hear how it goes for you.

Take care,
    Xxx