Does anyone here do any sort of charity work?

Options
As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 17. Jun 2013, 15:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been off from university now for around 5 months, although for most of that time I have been having a really bad time with my arthritis I feel that my new treatment has made me feel good again. I'm not pain free or able to walk miles and climb mountain....far from it. I feel like I want to do something rewarding with my spare time before I return to university in September. I have been thinking to do some sort of charity work but I have no idea where to even start looking, or if I'm even able to do charity work while claiming esa :S Any advice would be great!

Comments

• kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi. I do voluntary work for my local Hospice Shop but as I am retired your query abt esa allowance does not affect me so can't help with that. Am sure someone else will be along who can tell you. I suggest you just go into any of your local charity shops and tell them you would like to help. Am sure they will welcome you with open arms.

I love the work and have made new friends as well as being able to do something to help.

Let us know how you get on.

Beryl
  • Suelizabeth
    Suelizabeth Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I work in housing with vulnerable adults running peer support groups with volunteers. Check out do-it.org for volunteering, or if your degree is relevant (or you have a specific talent) skillshare. Good luck :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I've volunteered for charities for years. You can get some ideas of what's needed near you at www.do-it.org uk .
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi

I do work for a local childrens hospice in the reception, basic office duties nothing too taxing, regarding your esa it won't affect it but inform the dwp know that you are doing voluntary work................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • gemmapetken
    gemmapetken Member Posts: 263
    Options
    Hi
    I spend my free time helping with scouts and explorers. We do lots of fun things and you can give as much or as little of yourself, depending how you feel! When I'm really bad my explorers tie my boots up for me!!! Lol
    There are loads of charity/ volunteer posts out there.
    Good luck!
    Gxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I'm a volunteer for our Arthritis Care branch.
    An information volunteer...which involves filling up stands at hospitals with leaflets and keeping them filled up.
    Doing information stands at various places
    Doing talks to various groups
    Peer support volunteer.....that's being in a hospital/walk in centre at a stand and chatting to people about arthritis as they come in for other appointments and signposting them to people that can give them the help that I cant give them.
    As for your benefits I'm sorry cant help you with that.
    I love my volunteering.
    Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    I do voluntary work too Assh some from home and some with some fosk who have learning disabilities.

The main thing to remember is to only comit yourself to a small amount (in my opinion) of time at first incase you don't like it, or return to University:)

Love

Toni xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Toni
    is so right about not committing yourself to things you might not be able to keep up.
    The thing about my arthritis volunteering is that most of the things I can do when I please or if for some reason its a set day that I cant make ....well everyone is in the same boat and understands

Love
    Hileena
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess its a confusing time for me at the moment, all of this time off doing nothing is really depressing and I feel like I need to do something during the day to make time pass by and give back to society. I have been thinking really hard about trying to get a job but know I'm not ready yet. I have been looking around for some charity's in my skill area (I.T related stuff) and have contacted a local company who build computers from old scrap parts to make working computers for family's who cannot afford a computer.
  • McKay32
    McKay32 Member Posts: 2
    edited 17. Jun 2013, 06:13
    Options
    One of the best way is to look for an group who organize fundraising most of them are helping charity.In Finland i use to participate i an fundraising at [link deleted] and it was really a successful fundraising where you can say a very challenging helping for some people who need the funds.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi
    I started training to be and adviser with CAB, but it was too much and I didn't have the energy to carry on. I may try again, and can work better hours, but I don't feel like it at the moment. I'm not getting any benefits so can please myself. I think you can do voluntry work and claim, but I'd check it out with DWP first.
    Good luck, Love Sue xx