Help again please More bad news!

Options
angilee
angilee Member Posts: 102
edited 26. May 2013, 08:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone,
I know I dont post here very much..but the support and info I have got from you in the past has been really helpful.

I have just found out that the OA has now spread to my foot (bone in the side of my foot apparently) The list now stands at hips,knee,back,fingers and now the foot..and the icing on the cake...just been made redundant from work! What chance is there of finding another job in this state?

I dont think I can take anymore of this...really now feel I am fighting a losing battle..I love to walk..but the latest news that it has spread to my foot is devastating for me...Dr has said to take ibuprofen and try to get the swelling down...then will consider doing an injection into the bone in my foot...I am still working my notice at work for another 3 weeks..how is it practical to keep off your feet?

Does anyone else have OA in their foot...how do you manage? Also anyone had any success with the cortisone injection?

So Sorry this is such a ramble...I need to tell someone. Thank you so much for listening
Angilee

Comments

• kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Angilee. Am so sorryto hear your news. I have OA in my back and 1 knee (same side as back problem), and just to add to everything have had a frozen shoulder for the past 18 months which physio now thinks has led to inflammatory arthritis. I know the pain you are in. I can manage most things around the house (I live on my own) with varying degrees of pain and difficulty, but it's walking that causes the most pain and problems for me.

I am currently waiting for an appointment at the Pain Clinic with the possibility of injections (which I really am not very keen on). I have tried a TENS machine, but found it not very effective and all the stronger meds give me such terrible side effects that I can only take paracetamol which, of course, is not very effective for chronic pain.

I can't help you re your foot, but am sure someone will be along who can advise you. Do hope you manage to get some help soon. It is so hard coping with the pain isn't it. Take care.

Beryl
  • snowdrop123
    snowdrop123 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi Angilee
    I'm sorry to hear you are having these horrible problems and I hope you get to put your feet up soon. Nothing is more important than looking after yourself and finding a way to live with the pain so if you have to have a few days off work to get the swelling down then do it. You won't be able to try the injections if they're badly swollen and it sounds like it could be worth trying if that's what your docs are recommending for you.
    I have OA in my back and hands and recently had an injection in my righthand thumb joint. It's not been a miracle cure but it has helped a little. It's the first one I've had so I'm no expert but perhaps someone else on the site will be able to give you some advice. I get pains in my knees, ankles and feet but the xrays were ok so I think it's due to the extra strain due to my terrible posture and the way I walk (or should that be hobble). I haven't been brave enough to have an injection in my back yet, I thought I'd see how it went with my hands first.
    Good luck and I hope things improve very soon.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have OA in both knees, both ankles and PSA-affected toe joints. Everything hurts all the time but I'm used to it. A helpful thing to do is rest with your feet up whenever possible (with your knees supported) and don't be afraid to take regular doses of pain dullers. (I do mine morning and evening, with an occasional mid-day top-up if I'm being busy.) OK, they don't shift all of the pain but at least they dull the sharper edges of it. I am a side-sleeper and I have to place a pillow between my knees to keep my upper hip straighter and I need the cushioning thanks to the extra bone growths on my knees. Wot larks, Pip :wink: but it does help.

OA is a progressive, degenerative disease and I suspect that when it begins in your lower limbs that alters the way you walk, thus throwing other joints out of kilter which triggers their being affected. I have mine thanks to the joint damage caused by my other arthritis - it's not pleasant and I am now reliant on walking aids. I wish you well and good luck with it all. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I’m sorry things are so difficult at the moment on several fronts. The redundancy alone must have been a huge blow.

I don’t know what kind of work you do but I can see it might be difficult, if not impossible, to elevate your foot while there. I can only suggest you do so whenever possible while at home. After you’ve done your 3 weeks it will be easier to elevate more often.

I think there are quite a few of us with OA in the feet. Sailrib is still in hospital following a foot op. Prefabkid and bobbyger are rarely here after successful foot ops.

Ask to be referred to an orthotist. They might be able to fix you up with special insoles which help. Always wear shoes that support your foot well. Don’t slop around in slippers. Little things can make big differences.

Walking is probably still good for you (but ask the experts) provided you don’t overdo it and do have your feet in suitable shoes.

I hope the ibuprofen helps. I’ve had other bits of me injected but not my feet. If I thought it would do any good (mine are too far gone) I’d do it tomorrow.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bartraja
    bartraja Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Angilee, I am new here. I have As diagnosed last year and had plantar fascitis in my heel. Had a steroid injection into my heel just before Christmas and yes it hurt but 2 days later was walking round a shopping centre no probs!!! At easter i walked 7 miles whilst at the seaside : :lol: roll: 5 months later it is still good although getting a bit of pain in the side of my foot, my heel is fab! so that little bit of pain was well worth it. Hope that helps!!! xx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Oh dear poor you
    I have OA and Inflammatory arthritis you name a joint I got it there :!:
    My hands and feet are the worst at min although my knee keeps giving way and it just needs to stop it :roll:
    I'm waiting for surgery in 13days to have my second third and fourth toes fused had my big toe fused last year but since then my second toe has deteriorated so bad it needs operating and just because that does my third and fourth have to be done to balance the foot out after that I need the big toe on other foot fusing so when that's done I might be able to enjoy retirement as I retired on 13/3/13
    I'm really sorry about your job it is a tough time getting any job these days
    Have they mentioned surgery for your foot yet? Or are you not at that stage yet
    I really feel for you try and keep strong
    Maria
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    angilee, I'm sorry you are going through such upset at the moment and being made redundant is such awful news for you. I do hope you can find some pain relief that will help you.