psoriatic arthritis/dla

Options
skyblu
skyblu Member Posts: 4
edited 10. Jun 2013, 12:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi my partners recently been diagnosed with PA and he's gone rapidly downhill and can't walk anymore or leave the house...he's on the maximum dose of Methtrexate which to be honest isn't doing much good as he's catching every bug known to man as they lower his immune system and then whenever he's ill he's been advised not to take them...

he applied for DLA at the start of march and we've still not heard anything...the lack of money is really putting a strain on our relationship because of course now we're having to pay for taxi's etc for his frequent hospital visits....he's on SSP from his employer as we are already short £100+ a week.....I feel like i'm cracking up, having to look after him,3 children and the house plus all the jobs that he cannot do anymore

i know its hit and miss as to wether he'll get DLA but what do you think the likelihood is of getting it?it really would help to hear success stories!

Comments

• techiedeb
    techiedeb Member Posts: 11
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, I am so sorry for what you are both going through. I am certain you would get DLA. If your husband can't work then you are entitled to it. Its worth checking this out with citizens advice oer speak to your doctor.

Debbie
  • lily
    lily Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Hi

Im so sorry to hear what is happening to your partner, i have psa and other bits but i get dla and was surprised as at the time i applied it was only through the psa. it took 8 weeks for the dla to get back in touch with me and eventually it was a phone call i got asking from them as they needed me to clarify a few bits,during the phone call i was informed i was being awarded dla but had to wait another 10 working days to find out what rate i was being awarded.

Good luck and take care
    Lily x
  • skyblu
    Options
    thanks, i know he's entitled to DLA but getting it will be another matter as DLA have written to his doctor around 8 weeks ago and had no reply despite us and the dla reminding his them!i rang dla yesterday and they said they will be coming to a decision within the next few days without any medical evidence....looks like he's not going to get it...his doctors marked his file URGENT a few weeks ago and still not done it

could he still get DLA just based on the initial form he sent in?
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I got highest rate mobility for PsA alone.
    I'm now on highest rate care too but I have other health problems!!

I cared for my husband who went from a self employed builder to being pretty much bed bound in the space of a year, I had 4 young children too. It was very hard but we coped, you will too no matter how bad things are at the moment (((Hugs)))

I hope his Rheumy is doing his medical report. If he gets refused ask them to look at his application again. Contact any medical professional he sees, explain uve got 1 month to get their report in & then copy it all & send it off in time!! Include depression etc too if he suffers from it.

Keep fighting. Best of luck.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Lynsey3101
    Lynsey3101 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    This is like a mirror image of my life minus the three kids. My hubby was diagnosed in aug he has been on one drug which gave him horrible side effects panic attacks and depression he is now waiting to go on another drug. Our lives have totally been turned upside down. He was a builder and now is at home all day. We have sold everything practically and now have our house on the market. We applied for DLA and were initially refused. He now has a medical on the 13th after a second application. He knows we need the cash for pescriptions and hospital apts but also doesn't want to be disabled and thinks that getting DLA or pip as its called now will put him in the disabled bracket. He's so proud it's frustrating.

I would love him to meet someone else who suffers with psoriatic arthritis. Is there a meeting or anything in Gateshead? I'm new to the site and I've had a pretty hard day today with it all. Lol. Sometimes I think we might go crazy! :lol:
  • skyblu
    Options
    well our DLA has still not been looked at even though the doctors swear they have sent the report back, we too are having to sell everything and we are going more and more under as each day goes past....the past few months have been a total nightmare fighting for the doctors to fill in the damn report, so id hate to think what it would be like if he doesn't get dla...i think I'm going to have to move out to be honest as we just can't manage, not with 3 children