Evening All xxx Referred pain

MerryChapman
MerryChapman Member Posts: 45
edited 27. May 2013, 14:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Evening all, hope you're enjoying your Friday?

I'm having a bit of an issue with referred pain in my knee from my hip. At the moment it's worse then the hip pain! Any suggestions to make it better?

Merry xxx

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Merry
    I originally went to my GP with the knee pain..only to be referred to a consultant to be told its was my hips...the only thing that helped me was the antiinflams....but has the hips have got worse the knee pain has more or less gone.... it must be down to the way the hip wears down...hope it ease for you very soon x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Have you got an official diagnosis of referred pain, Merry? I wouldn't just assume it though it's quite possible. If it's definite I'd be trying to strengthen both hip and knee , muscles with exercises. Why not ask for a physio referral?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • MerryChapman
    MerryChapman Member Posts: 45
    I have to admit I'm self diagnosing :( and I'm guessing.

It's on the same side as the knackered hip. I've got to see another consultant on Friday about the THR so I might mention it then.

I'm still waiting for the hydrotherapy referral to come through, although the initial course of physio I had in Jan came through quite quickly.

I haven't been taking many anti inflams lately (just the cocos) so I'll try alternating today and hopefully it'll improve.

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated as always xxxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Merry

If you are in a lot of pain I would suggest that you take the cocos and anti inflams prescribed for you regularly. The idea is that the drugs stay in your system so that they can do their work properly of bringing down inflammation and controlling pain, or at least lessening it all.

I wish you well with your appointment on Thursday and there would be no harm in chatting to the consultant about your concerns of referred pain.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think it would be a good idea to mention it to the consultant. Also to up the anti-inflamms.

Hydro is very popular so it's quite possible that there's a longer wait for it than just physio. I hope it helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Aww :(

You poor thing - I agree with Elna though about taking the meds as prescribed for now, but like the idea of mentioning it to the consultant Thursday.

Take care now and have you tried wheatbags/ice (sorry if that sounds a bit like 'teaching my Grandma...' :oops:

Good luck for Thursday

Love

Toni xx
  • Stigger
    Stigger Member Posts: 72
    Hi, I have quite nasty referred pain from Hip Osteoarthritis. It runs down the leg, to my knee and sometimes my ankle too. It can be painful. I also have phantom pains from my amputated leg.
    I had a referral to the local pain clinic who told me that long term sufferers from Osteoarthritis often suffer from this and that it was neuropathic pain.
    He prescribed 10mg Amitriptyline to be taken at night.
    It has started to have an effect on the referred pain (after 2 weeks), definitely dulls it down.
    Good luck.