Question re NSAIAs not working

Options
patton1975
patton1975 Member Posts: 3
edited 29. May 2013, 11:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I've been taking Methotrexate fro two years for arthritis and I'm generally happy that its been working ok. The arthritis has generally been affecting my fingers, hands and wrists. I never see any swelling of my hands or wrists even when not taking any drugs. And its definitely better with the Methotrexate.

Every now and then my lower back gives out - I think its unrelated. Even still I visited my consultant last week and he's order more tests. In the mean time he gave me Arcoxia to help. This is great and clears up the lower back almost straight away.

The funny thing is the Arcoxia seems to have no effect or even an negative effect on my hands. Hands are much sorer this week than in a long time. I think I've seen similar thing with Ibuprofen before in that it makes absolutely no difference to hands. Again - I'm pretty sure it makes them worse.

From all I know - Arcoxia and similar drugs should help quite a bit - I was just wondering if anybody else has had similar experience? Or know why this may be so?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi patton1975. It's good to meet you.

I doubt my experience will be of much use to you but, for what it’s worth…

I took only NSAID’s for years before DMARDS such as methotrexate were used. I always found that some helped more than others and some barely helped at all. I don’t recall feeling that they helped some bits and not others though.

The good news is that your consultant is doing more tests and trying to sort things out.

It might be that a different NSAID would help more and possibly your GP could arrange this if it’s something you wanted to pursue. Or agree to your leaving it off for a while now that your back has improved.

It might simply be that you’re flaring, though, and it’s entirely unconnected to the arcoxia. One of the very frustrating things about arthritis is trying to pinpoint causes and effects. Sometimes we shoot up blind alleys. I’ve been up loads :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I am on meth, humira and sulphasalzine for my PsA, plus a daily diclofenac for my Achilles tendonitis and occasional bouts of plantar fasciitis. The first three give me lovely blood results (proving that I have no inflammation) but they do not ease the pain in my joints one jot, probably because that is caused by the osteo arthritis which resulted from joint damage. I wonder if this could this be the culprit in your hands? Have you ever had them Xrayed? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I too am on Arcoxia and it helps my lower back problems but not my shoulder or hands too much although I know for a fact that without arcoxia things are generally much worse for me. I have OA. I had to come off arcoxia for 6 weeks and was I happy to get back on it again! ;)

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • patton1975
    patton1975 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback.. just want to make sure I'm not missing something..