Methottrexate and Sulphasalazine as a combine drugs

Options
lindazhu
lindazhu Member Posts: 5
edited 31. May 2013, 10:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was diagnosis as RA 6 moths ago and Doctor suggested I should have Methottrexate starting with a dose of 15mg weekly dose was raised by 2.5 every fortnight until I am taking 25mg weekly.

After 12 weeks on this medication things did not improve very much. ESR raised all the time. by 13 weeks ( end of January ) I started using Sulphasalazine and after 2 to 3 weeks symptoms changed and ESR started dropping.

Now I am having Methotrexate 25mg weekly,Sulphasalazine 500mg tablet per day , Hydroxychlorogun 200mg and Arcoxia 30mg.

I would like your opinion as to whether if I had started from the beginning with Sulphasalazine would my symptoms have improved quicker rather than waiting 12 weeks on Methottrexate.

Returning to work is worrying me, because some days are not as good as others and if I have everything working for me in the best way I can, I hope to be able to carry out my work without feeling so tired and in pain.

I would appreciate your advice that last week doctor would like to give me injections of Methottrexate instaed of me having to take them orally.

I am concerned because Methottrexate did not seem to help my symptoms when they were first prescribed to me at the beginning of my illness, I took them for 13 weeks and my ESR escalted, I was then prescribed Sulphasalazine which helped me very much and stabilised my ESR.

I have been prescribed antibiotics yesterday for phlem on my chest so I do not want to mix the two.

We are nearly 6 months down the line and I am starting to feel settled with my medication I am not so sure I would like to upset my system at this point as I am due to return to work and do not want to feel out of sorts at the wrong time.

is this really going to help my situation when it did not really help me before.

I would very much appreciate if anyone can give me any ideas.

Comments

• lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Having mtx as injections can help as ur body absorbs much more than via oral route so guess that's why its suggested, sounds like sulpha could be a better drug for you and hopefully once ur controlled u may be able to step down the mtx, is common to take both though. Unfortunately there are no guarantees with ra and many of us have rather up and down days regardless of our blood results. The tiredness seems to go with the territory and after 9 years I still suffer tiredness even though my pain etc has been well controlled. That said everyone is different and you can't really predict what will happen just take one day at a time.
    Its sensible to take your consultant s advise but don't be scared to voice your worries etc about medication as its your body and your choice.
    Good luck, its a rocky road but we're all here to help with the tricky days.x
  • lindazhu
    lindazhu Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you very much. I was wondering to seek private consultancy. But I am now a bit relief after read your reply.

I do feel much better than before. but as you mentioned it comes and goes. I got to learn to deal with it.

Thanks again!
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    I'm on both sulphasalazine and methotrexate and will be heading down the injection route but will have to wait 4 weeks after my op on thurs then go see them have injection of steroids them hopefully start methotrexate injections I can't wait my pain is so bad but depends on wound healing.
    Seeing a consultant privately will have the same outcome as they have a set protocol called NICE these guidelines can be found on the Internet so don't waste your money unless you really want to
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I began with sulphasalazine and got nowhere. Tablet meth was added after a while and still I got nowhere. I then tried all sorts of weird and wonderful combinations of meds but sulph remained a constant throughout - I still went nowhere in terms of benefit but at least I tried. :wink:

We all react differently to the medications and the positive thing from your post is that your symptoms are easing / lessening. That is a good thing and should be appreciated. RA can come and go, whether one is on the meds or not, so persevere, make sure you get plenty of rest and listen to your body so you don't push yourself too far. I am now on sulph, injected meth and humira, OA has set int to my PsA damaged joints, my mobility is steadily decreasing but my bloods are lovely, thus proving that some degree of drug control over the PsA is happening. I have to count that as a blessing. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben