New rules - withdrawing meds

Options
campaigningsurfer
campaigningsurfer Member Posts: 6
Hi Everyone, I have OA and OP and have managed successfully to keep the inflamation and pain under control for over 20 years using Ibrofen. Now under the new prescibing rules (according to my doctor) if you can buy it from the chemist she will no longer prescribe it. Also she objects to prescribing it regardless and whe nasked for the alternative she said 'take Paracetamol' which I cannot take as it upsets my stomach. So when I then asked if I was supposed to be in pain for the rest of my life she said 'she supposed so'
Has anyone else had this esperience of total disregard for the patients needs as opposed to the clinical cost savings.
As a diabetic she has also refused to refer me to the clinic of my choice in fact she has refused to refer me anywhere because she would lose the funding for my long term illness.
I do not want to change practices as I am on the Patients group and via that several other groups so if I did my life would be severely curtailed but why should I not be able to get the support I think I need and am entitled too?
Your opinions/experiences would be welcome

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I think you should write to the practice manager to discuss your concerns
    They just can't say no I thought we now had choice where we can and cannot get our treatment from
    I'm really lucky my practice are really helpful as my rheumy and orthopaedic consultant are in another health care trust and I have never had any problems with my care or medications I'm prescribed I also have paracetamol and its on my repeat prescription
    It seems to me they are trying to penny pinch at a cost to your health
    Keep strong
    Maria
  • campaigningsurfer
    Options
    The practice manager always backs the doctor regardless of what is going on I have a PALS contact and she says ask for a second opinion but I think it is easier just to get a private doctor and get what I can on the NHS (for my diabetes) and sort my health out privately - in the next few years the NHS will be private anyway and I sit on the CCG as a lay member so I really do know and it is not a political statement
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    I agree with you about losing NHS I've said it for the last couple of years
    Just retired from NHS after 30 years got no thanks kiss my **** nothing
    No one is valued its all about saving money my answer get rid of the many many managers in a top heavy system money saved easy peasy
    Maria
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,510
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I have OA and OP and have managed successfully to keep the inflamation and pain under control for over 20 years using Ibrofen. Now under the new prescibing rules (according to my doctor) if you can buy it from the chemist she will no longer prescribe it. Also she objects to prescribing it regardless and whe nasked for the alternative she said 'take Paracetamol' which I cannot take as it upsets my stomach. So when I then asked if I was supposed to be in pain for the rest of my life she said 'she supposed so'
    Has anyone else had this esperience of total disregard for the patients needs as opposed to the clinical cost savings.
    As a diabetic she has also refused to refer me to the clinic of my choice in fact she has refused to refer me anywhere because she would lose the funding for my long term illness.
    I do not want to change practices as I am on the Patients group and via that several other groups so if I did my life would be severely curtailed but why should I not be able to get the support I think I need and am entitled too?
    Your opinions/experiences would be welcome

Dear Campaigningsurfer

I am sorry to hear that you are having this experience. It sounds as if you have decided that seeing a private doctor is the route that you will now take. As your PALS contact has suggested you could ask for a second opinion and it may be worth speaking to PALS further about the issues you are facing with your doctor. If you would like to talk things through you can always call us here on the helpline on 0808 800 4050 (10am-4pm weekdays) and talk things through with our helpline team.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • campaigningsurfer
    Options
    Thank you I will consider these options