Had my 6 week post THR check

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 15. Jun 2013, 08:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I had my check up at the hospital yesterday. I saw the Registrar , but the Consultant spotted me and came in to speak too, which was nice.
I had an X ray, which the Reg said looked OK but it needs reporting fully to measure to check to any discrepancy with my other THR. I told them about my limp/rocking gait and he said it was still early days and hoped that I could get to 1 crutch by my next check at 12 weeks. I asked about physio and they said it was OK to keep the appointment I have already made for 1/7/13. I can drive when off crutches fully and when I can safely do an emergency stop. I asked about when I can go swimming, and was told I can go in the pool now to walk but not swim until 3 months. I have to keep sleeping on my back until 3 months, which is not a good thing as my back is so sore. I asked about my back and the bulging discs and he said I will probably always have these, but hopes some physio will strengthen my back and help with pain. He will review at next check. The wires which are around the great trochanter which was surgically broken to gain access to hollow the femur will stay in place forever unless they cause a problem. This technique is one my surgeon uses to gain better access to be able to put the THR stem in place, and may be why it takes a bit longer for me to side sleep as the broken bone needs time to heal to be comfortable.
I asked about when the 90 degree restrictions are lifted and I was told I have them for life, BUT he stressed that there are ways of safely doing things eg picking things up from floor without breaking 90 degree angle. I am NEVER to squat down as this is too sharp an angle and will put the risk of dislocation very high. As I had a late dislocation with my LTHR I am happy to do as I am told if this reduces the risk of another dislocation. I can kneel, but kneel up rather than down (if that makes sense) and my physio will teach me how to do this safely.
So I feel that I am doing OK, but it is a long slow process, which i find hard to cope with sometimes!! But I will. I have spoken to work, and updated my boss of my progress.
Thankyou everyone for your support over the past 6 weeks xxx
NB

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I'm glad it went well and got a lot of questions answered
    As the saying goes keep up the good work
    Maria
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Glad it went ok. It is a long job, isn't it? I would think that not being allowed to squat won't do your back much good! There is always something to deal with! I do know that bulging or prolapsed discs do sometimes dry out - but thinking about it I think that is after a prolapse rather than just a bulge. Once dried out the pain should be less as the nerve will be freed.

Keep up the hard work. :)
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Seems like a good app NB and it was so nice of the consultant to pop in and see you, keep up the good work and you will be swimming, driving etc in no time you are doing so well..............tc..................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Thanks, Maria, Frogmella and Marie,
    I am feeling quite positive today as I thought I was a bit behind where I should be, but feel reassured after my appointment.
    I have been out with a friend for a coffee this afternoon, and the change of scene and chat have been lovely.
    I am going to research for a pool with steps that are gradual into the pool rather than a ladder so I can go for a dip, although I need a new costume as my old one is too big after losing weight! :lol: I don`t want it to fall off in the pool :oops: :oops:
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I reckon that kneeling and squatting are highly over-rated maneouvres (not having done either since 1997 and I have no plans to start :wink: )

Of course it is going to take time, these things always do. You're doing OK, NB, so don't rush things now. I am glad you've been able to go out today, a change of scene does help to brighten one up. I hope you have a good (and restful) week-end. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello NB
    That is another hurdle out of the way for you, and its still early days...I am hoping your back will improve when you are walking better...well thats what they have told me... :?
    Hopefully very soon the weather will settle down and you can enjoy more days out.
    The swimming sounds good..I can only paddle ...but I do know its good exercises..
    You look after yourself..and keep us updated (((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I reckon that kneeling and squatting are highly over-rated maneouvres

I'll second that :)

I do admire the way my 3 yr old grandson can relax, while playing with his train set, with his head, one knee and both feet flat on the floor while his bottom and other knee are up in the air. I have never found a need to do this and I suspect, pretty soon, neither will he.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright