Driving with arthritis

Options
RGR90
RGR90 Member Posts: 3
edited 15. Jun 2013, 09:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello people,

I thought I would sign up here to see if any of you could inform or help me with any ideas that make filling your car tyres with air easier. Often it requires patient waiting for a petrol station assistant to come and help, I am just wondering if anybody else finds this difficult and if so have you found any clever ways of making this task easier ?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I pop into my local tyre centre every now and again where the lads there (who know me) quite happily check and inflate if required. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I rely on the hubby to everything practical with the car-particularly filling with petrol as I struggle to use the spring loaded nozzle, or my daughter who's way more practical than I ever was with the car! :o

Deb
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    I have found a garage nearby me that the staff are quite willing to check my tyres etc for me, I get all my petrol from there so we all win x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    RGR90 wrote:
    Hello people,

I thought I would sign up here to see if any of you could inform or help me with any ideas that make filling your car tyres with air easier. Often it requires patient waiting for a petrol station assistant to come and help, I am just wondering if anybody else finds this difficult and if so have you found any clever ways of making this task easier ?

If you phone ahead of time at any Tesco petrol station (might be the same for all) they will be waiting for you and come out to assist right away. They offer the same type of service for disable people who need assistance for filling up petrol tanks. Hope this helps
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Yes..I use Tesco. No waiting around they are there to fill the tank and check the tyres....really helpful
  • RGR90
    RGR90 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7362899.stm

It would appear that Tesco have been influenced by this court case then, Its good to see companies doing there bit to be of assistance.
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Interesting court case but it does make you wonder how much training the staff would need to inflate tyres.
    I could understand if there was only one member of staff on duty at the garage and they were keeping other motorists waiting to pay while they did this though.
    Fortunately my Tesco usually has 2 and sometimes 3 one being a man.
    Where health and safety come in to this I'm at a loss to understand.
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    This is off off topic a bit but it's related to driving.

My hubby has a motability car so we use my Dla to pay bills but as my mobility has gone down hill over the past 2 years or so we asked if we could change our car 2 years early. It was far to low for me & I now need an automatic. They were absolutely fantastic & waved all penalties.

We needed quite a large car to fit his scooter in. Well as we're on state benefits only we couldn't afford any advance payment so they put us in touch with the grant dept of motability & we were given just under £2000 We were staggered & so grateful :) We've had the Ford S Max for over a year now & the drivers seat has electronic adjustment so being only 5' 2" doesn't impede my driving ability.

I thought I'd share this information in case it could help anyone else in similar situations. Take care.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x