Exercise

Options
kentishlady
kentishlady Member Posts: 809
edited 15. Jun 2013, 10:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Yes, Unsure, I get fed up with being told that too. We all know that exercise is supposed to be good for us, but when you have mobility problems that is far easier said than done, as I told my Dr the last time she mentioned it! My main problem is OA in my back, although a knee joining in doesn't help either. I can only walk a very short distance now before the pain level starts increasing and then have to sit down to let the pain ease off before I can go a bit further. By the time I get home again I am usually in such agony that I wonder why I have made the effort to go out in the first place!

However, as I like going out, and it makes me feel better in myself, I keep going. Am off out shortly to meet my Son for coffee and chat which involves a short walk to the bus stop which I can just manage, but doing the walk back home is another matter. Hey ho, at least the sun is shining. Hope it is on you also.

Beryl

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good luck with it Unsure. I have a "Wispa", I don't use it often, for the reasons you stated. It goes at a brisk walking pace.
    I went with my husband and daughter to walk our dog. We are we on a quiet narrow road. When a car came by, they all stood to the side of the road. I tried to release the switch to stop my scooter, but, my thumb had locked. I ploughed straight into them! :oops: :lol:
    As for exercises, I do the ones given to me by the Physiotherapist, and walk as much as I can, as and when I can, it's not easy though.
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    You’re not gonna love me, Unsure :lol: , but I’m with the experts 100%.

I didn’t used to be. I used to think it was crazy to expect me to exercise and that I’d get all the exercise I needed just cooking, cleaning, shopping, washing, ironing etc for one husband and two kids. Plus, I’d neither the time not the energy for exercise.

I had to admit though, even in those days, that when they took me in for three weeks’ intensive physio I came out better and with a greater range of movement. I always determined to keep going with the exercises. It never lasted.

I think the turning point came when one hip packed in and, owing to damage the RA had wreaked on my shoulder, elbow, wrist and finger joints over the years, I had to face the indignity of buying a bottom wiper :shock: That did it! I was determined that this was a temporary measure.

I now aim to exercise every day which means that I exercise almost every day. I admit to missing them sometimes when things are rough or I run out of time or I’m staying with friends or family, but I’ve always been told that, even in a flare, one should take each limb through it’s full range of movement very gently and carefully every day. Afterwards, I resume weights very, very slowly and carefully.

It's paid off. After my knee revision I could do the straight leg raises next day albeit very painfully and slowly and I was home as soon as those having a first TKR.

It’s all very annoying and boring and takes up far too much of my day but I know that, without it, I’d be in a much worse situation than I am. The bottom wiper is languishing in a drawer still. It threatens me with consequences if I get lax :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I'm with SW on this one...I was going to the gym when I started with OA...25 years of exercise...and now I can hardly move...but I have started to fight back...exercising what I can and gentle ..unlike the gym ones I did... :shock: you have to keep the joints moving ....or they will fuse...not a bad idea in some..but any exercise is better than none...there are loads on the internet...I find that the microwavable wheat cushion you warm in the microwave will help with neck- hand exercises ...shoulder are the same gentle exercise...
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think we have to re-think what the word 'exercise' means. For us it isn't hill-walking, hiking, running, cycling great distances, pounding on a treadmill, all the things that are commonly associated with that blasted word. For us it IS doing a daily gentle walk, climbing the stairs (and descending backwards to work different muscles), doing the phsyio exercises, using resistance bands (OK, OK, mine are still languishing in their box but the intention is there).

This morning I have exercised my fingers, wrists, arms and shoulders by doing some ironing - they are now going to get a further work-out with the vacuuming but that will also involve some back and leg work. Then I shall collypopse on the sofa with a cuppa, puffing, 'oooofing' with the hurt and I shall indulge myself with a small bout of the grumps :D Ain't life grand? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Flexibility of thinking is needed here - take what you need through to the dining room and sit at the table to do it. Food prep doesn't necessarily have to be done in the kitchen. I do this at Christmas when there's a lot to be done - the delivering and fetching of the veggies ensures a little walk every now and again. Mind you, this year it will only be us so the work will be reduced - espeically if we go out for lunch. :wink:

I routinely cook and iron sitting down - our kitchen isn't enormous but I have a folding shower stool which is ideal as it doesn't take much space when not being used. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Unsure wrote:
    But walking which was something I enjoyed very much in the past, not many mountains in Snowdonia I haven't climbed, means that I'm not able to cook that day as I wouldn't be able to stand long enough.

I know this sounds odd but, when I come back from traipsing round the supermarket or walking/standing anywhere more than I should, that's when the quad exercises really help if I can force myself to do them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Your GP can refer you to a local gym...and is very cheap..you will get a one to one trainer that would normally cost a fortune..and they will work with you ...and help to slowly build up the muscles you need ....a friend of mine is a trainer and he works on people with painful knees..with very good results...exercise can be so scary when you are in pain but you would have a shock has to the amount you can build up too..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,950
    Options
    Hello Unsure
    i loved exercise i walked miles with my dogs as well as horse riding.
    now i have arther my legs ache from when i get up to when i go to bed i cannot stand for long when i said to the doctor it felt as if i could'nt move my legs because of the aching he said its arther getting worse.
    i have a scoota that i use to take the dog for his walk if i walk too far my legs hurt more i walk around a lot doing things in our bunglow it has a big garden.
    i dont know if its because i have cerebral palsy and i'm 72 this year i've worn them out.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,950
    Options
    Hello Unsure
    i for got i used to go to the gym but that was no good i tried
    to beat my record each week on the rowing machine and the treadmill i did enjoy it but my legs did'nt.
    i have been going to the hydrotherapy pool for 17 years.
    enjoy what you do
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx