We have another mouse.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 18. Jun 2013, 09:35 in Community Chit-chat archive
This morning I got to grips with making some room in the understairs cupboard (Mr DD is doing a Majestic run) and I got out my potato bag, my onion bag and my unused veggie bag. (These are bags from Lakeland, they are lined so the light doesn't get to the contents.) The first two bags were untouched (and lumpy with the correct contents) but the unused veggie bag has been tackled by sharp little teeth. :roll:

We are surrounded by fine felines and Heinz 57 moggies, who all adore sunning themselves on the shed roof and generally treating our garden like a latrine. Why the blazes are they not hunting bl**dy mice? I'll tell you why - they're generally fat, lazy and more-than-likely over-fed so they feel no need to exercise their natural instincts. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Part of the fly-past for Her Maj has just gone over the house including a Lancaster - time to switch on the TV and have a butchers. Thar she blows! DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Having been the subject of our furry friends attention in the past, I sympathise, they can wiggle into spaces that our useless feline friends cannot, we lost all our apples one year to a rat; one bite out of each one.

Bait is the answer, put it down before they become 100 more! OH was shocked one evening when one had the audacity to walk through the lounge in front of her, dodge under the door and he was climbing the stairs just to the right height to stop me having to bend over to apply a slipper over his head, phew, the hero for ten minutes!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Quite right. Overfed cats won't bother with mice. In our previous house we used, occasionally, to borrow next door's cat who was kept hungry enough to enjoy catching her own food. She didn't do heads and tails, though. Se left them for us.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    You will just have to get a moggie of your own DD :) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    DD, I don't expect you will, but if you do decide to use bait, please be sure to put it somewhere there is no chance of a cat getting to it. I had a beautiful cat, who suffered a horrible, painful death, after getting to some bait a neighbour had laid. I believe it's possible for them to suffer secondary toxicity, after eating a poisoned rodent too!
    I hope you get rid of your unwanted visitors soon.
    Numpty
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Apparently anywhere you can push a pencil through a mouse will get through as they have collapsible rib cage. Mig
  • jacqmun
    jacqmun Member Posts: 65
    Options
    I personally do not agree with bait..............poor critters suffer a long and agonising death and since I cannot kill a bug or spider and get really cross when my cats bring me the innards of their most recent kill or the tail and hind legs of a squirrel...think I would have to opt for a 'humane' trap
    When it rains, look for rainbows. When it's dark, look for stars
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Last winter we used humane traps after putting ALL of our food stuff in plastic boxes - very expensive that was! We caught 27 mice. 27!!! I relocated them into the greenhouse, soft I know!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    [quote="Airwave we lost all our apples one year to a rat; one bite out of each one.

Cheeky things!!!! :shock:

Seriously NOT what you want is it :roll:

DD Daisycat will happily pop over for you - mice have been her speciality this year NOT birds (Much to my relief)

Re migs concern about poison - it's possible to get some 'humane traps' which you pop chocolate in (yum yum their favourite) and they cannae get oot!!!! Mr DD wanders a safe distance away to release them :D

Take care

Love
    Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    We used a humane trap for the last one (in our bathroom) and the blasted thing died. :roll: Bait will be employed because, as I believe I stated, this one is in the understairs cupboard ergo nothing else will be affected and I want rid.

We are now considering slabbing the entire garden in order to stop the cat problem. I have cleared thirteen faecal offerings in the past three days. It's getting very irksome (not to mention disgusting) Perhaps I'll start my own 'faecal offering' service in their owners gardens and see how they like it. :wink: DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Wasn't me concerned about putting poison out,I would get rid of them by any means possible whether humane or not ( sorry Toni) . Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Yup, me too. :wink: DD
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi DD, was the mouse in the cupboard under your stairs you say? Because I doubt the cats would wonder into your home unless invited. If it was in your shed or greenhouse leave the door open and put some tit-bits for the cats just inside the shed/greenhouse and let them make it their territory and they will hunt mice, birds ect! Otherwise get yourself a moggie and they will catch all the mice you want and you get lots of fuss & love from them!!

I enjoyed watching the trooping the colour on the telly, love watching the marching and music, my OH & I where very impressed with how the Guards kept such straight lines and kept marching in time. And the fly past was very impressive. I bet the noise was amazing!!
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    Silly me when I swathe title I thought you meant a computer mouse :oops:
    I'm hopeless
    Maria :lol:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Our neighbours cats come in our house and spray...I wouldn't care but even that doesn't put the mice off :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Gawd, it'd put me off, Barbara! I remember when a neighbour's cat did that in our house. It stunk to high heaven.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I remember a neighbour (whose cat was a prolific dropper) saying when he caught me returning lumps over the fence to his garden 'That's what you get when you have a cat.' I pointed out that it's what he DIDN't get when he had a cat and now he could share the beast's generosity. Twerp.

Despite the feline patrolling our baby birds made it through their early lives but, if they hadn't, so what? Nature is raw in tooth and claw. DD
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I can get rid of the mice, its the bloomin cats I want to eject, our neighbour has brought two, they spend their life in my garden stalking birds which I attract with the feeders and I have now stopped doing. Their toiletries are carried out in our veg patch, yuk!

I open a window quickly and hiss at them, they run a mile but return later.
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,134
    Options
    Thanks to all who suggested humane traps, sorry but at the suggestion of anything else I start wanting to get on my vegetarian-animal-rights soapbox.. besides, poor health has given me the philosophy of never kill anything that's having a better time than me, & if mousie is having a nice day (and I have no reason to assume otherwise), then good luck to him, at least one of us is enjoying themselves!