asthma

Options
christinac47
christinac47 Member Posts: 102
edited 17. Jun 2013, 12:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
can you get asthma if you have ostrilatheritis and haveing breathing proplem for six weeks and put on striods too my pikflow test was vry low

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Asthma is an auto-immune condition (unlike OA) so yes, you can have both but they are not related in cause. I was a chronic asthmatic as a child, in the glorious days before inhalers. The steroids should relieve the breathing trouble (inhalers are steroid-based) but if not I am sure your GP will prescribe an inhaler for you. I have two, the blue one is a reliever (ie it will ease a tight chest) and the brown one is a preventer (taken regularly it will prevent the tightening). What is your best peak-flow reading to date? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • christinac47
    christinac47 Member Posts: 102
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Asthma is an auto-immune condition (unlike OA) so yes, you can have both but they are not related in cause. I was a chronic asthmatic as a child, in the glorious days before inhalers. The steroids should relieve the breathing trouble (inhalers are steroid-based) but if not I am sure your GP will prescribe an inhaler for you. I have two, the blue one is a reliever (ie it will ease a tight chest) and the brown one is a preventer (taken regularly it will prevent the tightening). What is your best peak-flow reading to date? DD
    the docter had just taken it this week i was to busy coughing when she was asking me to blow she said nowere near were I should for my age been on the striods for 3days still not great relife from them they put me on them as I was spitting ip blood been on 3 sets of antiebyotics
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    If you've been on antibios and are bringing up blood, have you had a chest infection? I don't think antibios are ever given for asthma and I don't think it would cause you to bring up blood though don't take my word for either.

The steroids should help any asthma you might have but, if you have an underlying infection, I don't know what effect they will/won't have on that.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I totally empathize with you.

I have mild asthma but I've had repeated chest infections since April. My Drs eventually sent a sample of sputum off for testing & it showed the bacteria I had was drug resistant so I needed a completely different type of antibiotic to clear it up!!

I'd suggest asking your Dr to do the same asap so you can be given the right treatment. I have another infection already but I'm on the correct antibiotic now :)

Good luck. You aren't alone hun.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Hi Christina, I only ever really get asthma when I have a chest infection and quite frequently am prescribed antibiotics (for the infection) and steroids for the asthma. I now have a supply of both at home to take when I need. The steroids can take a few days to kick in as can the antibiotics but if you are worried over the weekend you could always call your out of hours doc.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, how are you doing now? I hope things are improving. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben