Back Pain

Options
jacqmun
jacqmun Member Posts: 65
edited 16. Jun 2013, 02:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just a quick question, I have recently suffered quite bad lower back pain, when I was at my RA disease activity score I mentioned that my back had been quite painful, my nurse informed me that RA does not affect the spine, so what the bl**dy hell is causing this pain???
When it rains, look for rainbows. When it's dark, look for stars

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello jacqmun. I've had RA for many years. I've never had much trouble with my back, other than my neck area and I think that's mostly OA. Your back problem could be OA too. Alas, there's no rule that says we can only get one or the other. How long have you had RA and, more importantly, have you always taken DMARDS for, it?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

It's hard to say really, there are so many things it could be!! :?

I have Osteoarthritis in my lower spine but I've also had a ruptured disk low down too & it was agonizing :(

I think the usual advice with back pain is to try & keep it mobile but I'd definitely talk to ure GP or Rheumy team on Monday, if it gets any worse maybe call the out of hours Drs service.

Good luck & take care.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hello;

How are your hips doing with your RA? I know hip problems can sometimes cause your back to be sore.

Hope you find out what it is soon.

Anna
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Also, you do have facet joints in your spine that are synovial joints. These can be affected by RA. Best to be assessed by a doctor. Like Debbie says there are so many things that could cause pain in your back.

If remember the back pain general rule correctly;

Inflammatory back pain gets worse with rest and is relieved by moving, whereas mechanical injury or strain gets worse with moving around and is relieved by rest. Of course, this is a pretty general rule.

I know a painful back well and it's not easy to live with. Take care,

Anna