Any experience of intercostal steroid injection?

Options
Claire38
Claire38 Member Posts: 42
edited 18. Jun 2013, 06:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Really really fed up with the chest/rib/costochondritis pain (amongst other things :cry: )

It's getting worse and worse, and the upper back/spine pain is also getting worse. I'm at the end of what I can cope with!

I'm 5 weeks into the sulfasalazine, but so far no effect, although they did say could take 12 weeks to feel any benefit. I had an IM steroid injection about 10 days ago, and although it's helped some of the pain in other areas, the chest pain is still awful. I'm trying to plow on through at work etc, but I really don't think I can cope with this amount of pain much longer. I did a self referal to the physio at our occupational health department and saw them last week. Gave me some exercises to do, but I can't really see it helping much. I also tried swimming to see if that would help. Nothing seems to be helping at all!

I was wondering whether to contact my rheumatologist and maybe ask if they'd consider intercostal steriod injections. I was just wondering if any one else has had good or bad experiences with these?

Most of my pain I can cope with, but this is just unbearable :(

Comments

• jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hiya
    Sorry you are in so much pain. I too have intercostal pain and was offered steroid inj's. I didn't have them in the end as I was waiting for surgery. Now they are grumbling rather than breath taking.
    I hope you get some relief soon and don't sneeze too much (cause that bloody hurts!!).
    Take care of yourself.
    Jen
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hiya, Yes I had the inj for the costrochondritis twice, it helped a bit but the best thing was changing meds and getting on summat better. Do stick with it , the inj pain is no more than the rib pain itself so I saw it as a better of two evils.

Hope all eases and u can move forward.

C XX
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg