Trigger Thumb

Options
Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 26. Jun 2013, 11:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've had OA in my hands for some time, particularly in my left thumb joint, where I have a bony lump at the bottom of the joint. I now seem to have developed what I believe is Trigger Thumb. In the morning, I can hardly use my thumb because it's clicking and jumping and, although the only pain is, as usual, in the basal joint, it feels very uncomfortable and strange. During the day it improves - I knit and crochet - but then returns later in the day. I just wondered if it was worth visiting my GP. I've had various health issues over the past few months, so am reluctant to go to the GP yet again. Will this get worse?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The lump could be swelling - does your thumb lock in a bent position? My late mother's fingers would lock and she would straighten the affected one by forcing it open with the other hand (not ideal, methinks). It is worth seeing your GP because this can be treated, you may need an anti-inflammatory med or he may be able to suggest other things. I hope you can get something sorted because this must be very uncomfortable as well as inconvenient. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    My Mum went to the GP with what sounds like exactly the same problem and she was told it was typical of thumb OA. The GP gave her a steroid injection into the thumb joint and it has really worked well for her (although apparently it doesn't for everyone). Straight after the steroid injection the pain was worse for a few days but then, over a period of about 3 weeks, things have improved continuously. Now her thumb hardly "triggers" at all and she says that the pain is almost gone. The lump at the bottom of her thumb is still there and hurts to touch but I'm guessing that's down to the joint damage itself so wouldn't be helped by the steroid injection.

So I do think it would be worth you talking to your GP if you feel you can.

Hope you are able to get some help.

Tillyx
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thank you Dreamdaisy and Tillytop for your replies. My thumb hasn't locked - so far - but it's early days, I suppose. I have had steroid injections into the thumb joint in the past - when the joint was excruciatingly painful - but, after the second injection - which was pretty painful in itself - I didn't bother going back to the GP, as the benefit only seemed to last a couple of months and then I was back to square one again. I do believe I'll take your advice, though and make an appointment with my GP, as, I suppose, it's certainly worth discussing as this is a new development. I've just checked online and the earliest appointment I can get will be in July.

Thank you again.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Steroids are not a permanent fix, they do wear off in time but whilst they work (and if they do) they're good. Inflammation is one of the causes, another is the narrowing of the sheath surrounding the tendon but the GP is the one to talk to. Good luck. DD

PS Hello, Tillytop, it's lovely to see your name again. :)
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi, it is OA I have in my hands, I have saw my surgeon recently for a similar thing, she put a steroid injection into the base of my thumb but unfortunately it did nothing for me, the physio gave me a couple of splints which I wear when I am doing housework or driving, they help a bit, the surgeon was talking about a trapeziectomy taking out a bone at the base of the thumb I see her next month so will see if she is opting for surgery or try some more steroid injections. It would maybe help meantime to get a self referral to see a physio until you see a doctor..........tc........Marie
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I had trigger thumbs and had steroid injections. This was only a temporary measure unfortunately so had the ops separately. It took about 15 minutes each one. A very minor op and quick recovery. No problems since.

You would have to be diagnosed with trigger thumbs preferably by a hand surgeon so if it becomes troublesome it is a trip to the gp in the first instance, I am afraid.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thank you again, everybody, for your helpful replies. Well, I managed to get a doctor's appointment for tomorrow and I'm expecting a steroid injection, so we'll see. As I've had two in the past, and the benefit didn't last long, I want him to understand that I'll be back if the same thing happens.
    Just to add insult to injury, I had to see the nurse practitioner this morning as I'd started another UTI. My urologist has talked about putting me on to regular low-dosage antibiotics. I see him again in July when we'll discuss this and also what, if anything, they're going to do about my 9mm kidney stone! They may just monitor it. If it's not one thing...
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am pleased to read that you have an appointment with your GP - steroids don't always work, or if they do then not necessarily for a long time. We all vary in how we react to them.

With reference to the UTI my mother suffered for many years with recurrent cystitis which she tried to self-treat. ('The doc won't be able to help' was her reasoning, silly woman.) Eventually she went to the GP, took some meds and got better. She was also advised that, on completing urination, to sit and wait for a little while, maybe even stand up then sit down again, and she found that sure enough a little more would trickle out. Apparently there's a kink in the urethra just before it reaches the outside of the body, urine can stay in it and this leads to all sorts of trouble. Age is also a factor - the bladder does not empty as efficiently as we get older. I find myself doing this now - sit and wait and sure enough . . . . . . :oops: DD

PS There is an equivalent 'trick' for blokes - if any want to know what it is please PM me.
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thanks DD for the advice about preventing UTIs. I'll definitely give it a try.

Just got back from the doctor and he did, indeed, give me a steroid injection into the base of my thumb - ouch! He pressed hard, deep into the joint and I nearly hit the roof. I've now got to go back in three weeks to get another injection into the top of my thumb - the part that's triggering. I presume that will be into the sheath. Hopefully, this will work. I love to knit and crochet, so I don't know if this is making it worse, or is a good thing to keep my hands supple.

Thanks again. Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    So you've had the steroid - now the trick may be to let things rest. I was told when I had steroids into my knee to rest the joint for a minimum of 48 hours so if you can please do so with your hand. This is meant to give the stuff time to properly sink into the joint and therefore work to the best of its ability. I never found that to be the case but we are all different - I hope it helps and for a good long while. DD