Anyone tried an infra red hand held massager?

Options
suzygirl
suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
edited 20. Jun 2013, 07:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was shopping yesterday and saw one made by S*holl, my friend thought it was a good make and should be good. I dithered and didn't buy it which I now regret! It was to massage neck and shoulders with either heat or infra red and heat. I had never seen one before.

Has anyone tried one and found it useful or got any other miracle product for neck and shoulder pain? Poor hubby can't always be on hand to oblige with a massage :wink:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I haven't, but years ago we had an infra-red lamp. It was good for muscle pain ie the lads and Mr SW's sports injuries but I don't remember it doing much for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Suzy
    We have one its on a long handle with a ball on the end and a lamp..you can save your money if it the same one...it did nothing after months of using it...my son bought it me a for Christmas...he has also tried it on a back muscle he pulled...it didn't work..now some people say the lamps that physios use are good but not sure if you can buy them x
    Love
    Barbara
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Generally the infra red ones with a vibration massage aren't that great, I use a percussion massager in my clinic also has a heat setting, and everyone loves it, including me!!
    Mines a clinic one but you can get home use ones if u Google them, the cheap ones are fine but may not last quite so long as more expensive makes. Check the weight as obv if ur working on yourself you want a fairly light one.
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Interesting, thanks for the feedback :D
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Does a wheat bag help neck pain? I've gone around swathed in scarves in winter - and that was only indoors :roll:

Shoulders are nasty, complex things when you have pain there. i sometimes used to resort to a sling. (Slings were my answer to shoulders, elbows and wrists.) They at least hold the joint steady and act as a reminder that you can't just pick that cup up or whatever. (I did slip the sling off quickly though if someone came to the door :lol: )
    Steven Wright
  • suzygirl
    Options
    I do use a hot water bottle, I tend to forget about the wheat bag! Seems as though you know the pain well yourself.

I now have a mental picture of you with 2 slings, struggling to escape and frantically answer the door!! :lol::lol::lol:
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol:

An oblong wheat bag (They do come in different shapes) will sit on your shoulders and wrap round your neck.

I only ever used one sling (ie scarf knotted and slipped over head) at a time though, if both shoulders were bad together, I alternated. I've not much movement there but they give me little or no bother these days and I'm happy to settle for that.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I used one for a while. I found it soothing.

I'm not sure where it is now!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein