New Saucepans.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 20. Jun 2013, 11:52 in Community Chit-chat archive
It is the little things in life which help, isn't it? My 'old' set was beginning to go home (as my Ma used to say), they were a bargain from D*n*lm, a set of three hard anodised pans which have lasted OK but, as the non-stick was flaking, i thought they might be a little of a health risk. I went to a local hardware shop which has a wonderful kitchen shop attached, fully intending to browse and return empty-handed but didn't. :) I have returned to the wonder of stainless steel (and its weight but hey-ho) with a set of Judge Vista draining pans, 14, 16 and 18 cm in size. I have found the 20cm one on a well-known jungle website (where I also found my set at a quid more plus postage).

I am stupidly pleased. :D I know that before long 'im indoors will have turned the outsides blue-ish and the corresponding insides (where the sides join the base) burned but at least he does some cooking. You can't have it all but, briefly, I think I do. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    A productive day, then, and that's always good. I hope Mr DD doesn't wreck them too quickly. Enjoy them while you can. Will they come into use this evening?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Simple pleasures that mean the most ! Enjoy your new pans . Jillyb
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Totally agree, it is sometimes the simplest things in life that give the most pleasure, happy cooking..........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I used the largest one tonight and have marred its surface but only as expected. I cooked some brown (and therefore fiddly and time-consuming) basmati rice (far too much rinsing and draining for my liking!) and the pan behaved beautifully (better than the old ones). The main dish was not so good but the dessert of strawberries and Greek yoghurt went down a storm. And now we have some Tangfastics. Yup, it's one sophisticated household here. :wink: DD
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Many moons ago in the 1960's, I was given a large stainless steel pan as a wedding present from a practically-minded friend. At the time, it didn't seem like the most thrilling of presents, but it has stood the test of time while various other non-stick pans have come and gone. It's still the pan I rely on and it never lets me down, rather like the man I married!

Happy cooking, DD :!: :D

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Small things do make us happy DD. I know someone who derives great pleasure from her red aardvark cheese grater :D

Long may your pens last before they 'go home'

Love

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    you enjoy them DD...my OH seems to think they were made for burning... :?
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    One day they will invent man-proof pans. And kitchens. I have to de-grease my kitchen after Mr SW has cooked.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I boiled my two eggs this morning, using the smallest pan, accompanied by little purrs of pleasure. Sad, sad woman. :oops: I experimented with the draining lids (big holes on one side, smaller holes on the other) and found a small issue with steam being rather hot but it was OK.

My kitchen has undergone a small revolution since the advent of my birthday pink washing up bowl and new dish drainer, in that the evening washing up (when done by me) is completed with drying up and putting away whereas before things were just left, hence a messy-looking kitchen first thing. This habit will also include the new pans. I wonder how long it will last? :? DD

PS Frog? An aardvark cheese grater? :shock: Cor! :lol:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Pink washing up bowl wow!! Sounds almost as good as my cheese grater....talking of which I have cheese to grate :lol:

XXX
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The domestic revolution continues. I came home from Sainsbriz with a new grater which is slender and has detachable container for the gratings: no more trying to sort out cheese from plates or the chopping board. I will place it on one of my non-slip circles (on the chopping board) and off I will go. Well, not tonight, but soon. :wink:

It's liver tonight. :roll: Yup, boy-food reigns, tonight, tomorrow and Friday. Then I can do girl food when we go out on Saturday - yippee! DD
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Oh DD! Use brown rice, fry it dark and then cook it, you can't overcook it. Much tastier, I do it this way for my paella which takes me about 2.5 hours in total.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    We have a tiny kitchen and my ancient processor is 'stored' on top of a cupboard - I can no longer easlily climb the kitchen steps to reach it down so there it stays. Yup, the quantity is not large but I can easily grate twice or thrice, depending on what's needed.

I'm now investigating a new simmer ring. My old one (supposedly stainless steel) has rusted to you-know-what thanks to his washing it up (despite my tellling him not to). How he spills stuff onto a summer ring I just don't know. But at least he cooks (so be grateful you old bat). DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Mr SW can spill onto walls, himself, ceiling (once) and anything clean in the vicinity. It's a bloke skill. No point in us women worrying our pretty little heads about it, DD. We're just there to mop up :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I just put all my old saucepans into the dishwasher and implements for Charley - the eldest away to University soon :?

BTW Stickywicket you are quite right - we are indeed only there to clear up and look 'neat and pretty'

Ooops - off to put my lippy on and pop a comb through my hair, pinny off!!