Metatarsalgia

Options
lesley123
lesley123 Member Posts: 42
edited 23. Jun 2013, 21:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone suffered from this? I'm seeing my GP on Friday about it. I have diagnosed myself from the internet as I have a very sore foot that feels bruised underneath just behind my toes. I though it might be related to the way I'm walking due to arthritis in my big toes

Comments

• salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes, I had Morton's Neuroma, apparently. I think it was one of the first signs of RA as it occurred a few months before I got really ill. Funnily enough, I don't get it anymore - since I've been on RA meds.
  • lesley123
    Options
    What treatment did you get, salamander? And how long did it last?
  • salamander
    Options
    At the time my gp recommended I use a metatarsal pad. It didn't help and the one she gave me used to twist round my foot when I was driving and made my foot numb. I bought various gel pads etc. online, all useless and wouldn't stay in place.

I take Enbrel and steroids - not recommended unless you need them!
    Hope you get on well at the GP. let me know what they say.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,473
    Options
    Just being nosey as my foot hurts in the same place :oops: Will be interested to see how you get on

Love

Toni xxx
  • lesley123
    Options
    It feels 10 times worse today :( . It started off feeling like I had a pebble in my shoe, frogmorton. Just a bit uncomfortable but that was a few weeks ago and today it's just hurting like hell. My foot seems to have swollen as well.
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Ouch Lesley
    Poor you
    I have foot problems due to my arthritic feet but mine is never under the foot always the top
    I've just had further foot surgery to my left foot and when this is sorted my right foot needs surgery
    There is nothing worse than painful feet as you have to walk with the damn things
    Hope you see some improvements soon
    Maria
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Lesley when I first got this arthritis malarkey I had sore feet underneath, but more like walking on pebble(S).

Now the ache is very much localised under the middle of the foot and only on the right foot.

Are you taking your anti-inflammatories?

Well said Maria - not easy to get from A to B with out 'em is it :roll:

Love

Toni xxx
  • lesley123
    Options
    I'm allergic to anti inflammatories, frogmorton. I have codydramol instead. I was poking the blummin foot last night to see where it hurt and whether I could feel any lumps. That's obviously done it no good.

My GP did say that it might be ok to use my anti inflammatory gel but I'm a bit wary as my reaction was quite severe.
  • lesley123
    Options
    Well, she just told me to get some metatarsal pads and if it doesn't improve to see my podiatrist.
  • salamander
    Options
    Good luck with the metatarsal pads - I found them uncomfortable, sweaty and they constantly slipped out of place. The ones my gp gave me (and are available from a well known foot care brand) looked like something you would find under a very old person's bed but they were the best. Can't wear them with sandals though.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I suffer from this and can't walk without shoes because of it. I find thick soled shoes help a lot. I wear crocs with a cushioned insole around the house and very thick soled boots. Obviously, it's June and I am wearing more summery shoes but the difference is quite shocking. So, I would recommend a really decent pair of shoes and persevere with insoles and inserts. What works for some doesn't always work for others and vice versa. All the best of luck!
  • lesley123
    Options
    Thanks, Starburst. I think it's going to be trial and error. I think I'm just falling to bits, hehe :D
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Lesley re Starbursts suggestion re crocs - my foot is easier with my hotters shoes. If that helps at all.

I think you might end up seeing a podiatrist, but the insoles are worth a try anyway.

thanks very much for the update :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Yes just to add about shoes that some people swear by a certain brand and others find them no good. With shoes, it really is trial and error. Go with what feels comfortable for YOU, they're your feet after all!
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    I started with Morton’s neuroma in two places about mid 2009. It only really shows up on an Ultra Sound. I had special insoles with metatarsal supports and they did help ease some of the discomfort after a while. It was suggested that I had injections but the registrar at the time didn’t seem to think it was worth it. I had a limp more often than not and like you my foot got swollen both under the ball of the foot and then on top above my toe joints.
    I have to have a bunion op on the same foot and had x-rays and another ultra sound which showed the neuroma had got much bigger and so five weeks ago I had the injections. Absolute bliss, the swelling has disappeared and my foot has stopped feeling as if it is on fire, I am walking a lot better and I can keep on my feet a lot longer than I have been able to for years.
    Hope this helps,
    Lv, I x
  • lesley123
    Options
    Thanks all, my pain has eased a lot since Wednesday. It still feels like a have a pebble in my shoe but I'm just limping a bit and not hobbling. Hopefully the pads and experimentation with shoes will help with the limp x
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Lesley
    Well it's official I have metatarsalgia it says so on my discharge letter after my operation silly me just didn't relate you foot problems to mine
    I think it is because my pain has always been on the top of my feet not underneath also mine was a little more complicated as I have/had severe arthritis in my second toe so I have had to have surgery 1st time for fusion of my big toe and a year later I have just had surgery to my 2nd toe to ease the pain so as that toe had to be shortened I also had to have my 3rd and 4th toe too even though they were healthy
    If this surgery is successful as my big toe( my Orthopaedic Consultant has said he is happy with how it went but my toe was so arthritic it will be a waiting game and maybe surgery further down the line) I will be happy as yet the only pain I have is from my wound
    When this foot has healed I need my other big toe fusing and can't wait as last time the pain just disappeared
    I hope you don't have to go down the surgery route but if you do it's worth it just to get rid of the pain
    I can't wait to be able to walk without pain so fingers crossed
    Maria