Am I getting old or what?

joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 21. Jun 2013, 17:28 in Community Chit-chat archive
Scenario 1:

I was standing next to one of the large freezers in T***o when one of their staff came and pushed rudely in front of me to open the door, almost knocking me over. I said, "There's such a thing as saying excuse me! It's not very good manners to push in front of a customer like that!", to which I received a dirty look and no apology. :roll:

Scenario 2:

I attended a fashion show at a local garden centre where there's more clothes than plants there these days. The background music, if you can call it that, was playing so loudly that we couldn't hear the person speaking on the microphone. My friend wears hearing aids and the loud background noise was causing her some discomfort. After a while, I politely asked a member of staff if the music could be turned down so that we could hear something about the clothes. She gave me a very pitying look and said she would see what she could do. This turned out to be absolutely nothing :roll: We left :!:

Am I getting old or what :?: Is it a sign of my advancing age that I seem to encounter bad manners more often :?: Or is it that good manners are in a sorry decline :?:

Joan (Rapidly becoming a grumpy old woman :!: :lol:)
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Joan!!!

Long time no see :D

Sounds like some very frustrating experiences there....leaves a nasty taste doesn't it :roll:

Love

Toni xxx
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Hello Joan,

Dont want to worry you, but you are a little older
    than you were when you last posted on here.
    I dont recall you ever being grumpy.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Joan
    Older and wiser has they say... :) everything I say and do now reminds me of my parents when I was young....it does make me laugh when I think about it.... :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Probably because I, too, am getting older…and grumpier…and sadder, I’ve given this some thought :roll:

I think manners have to be taught but also insisted on. In W**tr*s* and my local M*rr*s*ns and M&S I find the staff friendly and helpful. In the supermarkets we frequent when in USA, I’m sure bad manners just wouldn’t be tolerated. The employee would be out on their ear. Maybe it’s up to us to insist that bad behaviour does not go unrecorded. If we don’t complain, nothing will change.

As for loud music, I’ve stopped attending parties at our local cricket club when there’s a DJ. The music gets louder as the evening progresses until, by 10pm, it’s pointless trying to hold a conversation. I tried using earplugs (on the grounds that conversation was impossible) but it penetrated even them. One of my difficulties is that, because I’ve never ‘done’ loud music, I’m not deaf :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    Hello Joan! That is so spooky ... following an early hospital appointment this morning I was daydreaming at the hairdressers and thought about people on here. I picture what people look like from what they say (!) and then remembered seeing a photo of someone on a ride at a theme park. Your name came to mind and then I realised I didn't remember seeing you on here for some time. And then here you are! Was it you on that ride?

Talking about manners, I couldn't agree with you more. in fact I recently complained to the Manager about a member of staff at Te..o. Now, of course, I see her every time I go in.

On the flip side, I decided I fancied a new lipstick for my hols. Nipped into B..t. and grabbed an assistant and asked her what colour I should try for my skin tone. She was very polite, quite happy to help me look, but offered no advice. I then looked at her badge and it said Optical Assistant. Whoops. Well, she was standing at the N. 7 counter. I ran out of time and came away without, but she was the nicest, politest assistant I have spoken to for a long time. Maybe there is hope for some.

I'm rambling. Sorry. It is really good to see you back.

Susie
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    My wife slipped over on the Tesco's petrol forecourt, on spilt fuel, hurting her hand and knee, she did write to them and say what had happened (not to claim), no response whatsoever. So, here we are relying on my wife to work (self-employed) and she can't due to a fracture.

No wonder Tesco's profits are struggling with these examples of attitude to customers.
  • joanlawson
    Hi Everyone,

Due to your kindness in taking the time to reply to my post, I'm no longer feeling like a grumpy old woman, so thanks for restoring my equilibrium :D

I do get very irritated by bad manners though, especially by people who are supposedly there to help.

Unsure : It is ironic that the supermarkets have slogans like 'Here to Help' while some of their staff can be so unhelpful at times.
    It sounds as though you're making good use of your walking stick when necessary anyway :!: :lol:

Toni: Hello to you too :D I hope you are well. 'Frustrating' is the right word. Good manners should be second nature.

Ichabod: Hello, my friend, it's good to see you're still around and posting on here. :D
    You are quite right, of course, I am a little older, but still very young at heart, which is the most important thing. I dread turning into one of those grumpy old women who complain about everything, so do try to retain my sense of humour most of the time.

Barbara: Older, but not always wiser in my case :lol:
    I often think I'm turning into my mother when I hear myself saying things she would have said.

SW: Yes, I agree with you that good manners should be taught and insisted on. As you say, bad manners wouldn't be tolerated in the American shops, so why do we often put up with it here :?: Is it the British reserve which prevents people from complaining :?:

Susie: Very spooky :!: Yes, it was me in the photo at the theme park. I'm amazed that you remembered :!:

Airwave: I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's accident and I hope that she recovers well. It's shocking and totally unacceptable that Tesco didn't reply to her letter. Perhaps they thought it would be an admission of liability if they replied, but she should have received an apology from them. So much for 'Every Little Helps'.... It should be 'Tesco Doesn't Help One Little Bit' :roll:

Joan
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,900
    Hello Joan
    it's nice to see you on here again I missed you.
    have you still got venus sorry about tommy's ear.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • joanlawson
    Hi Joan, I hope you and your sister are both well.

Yes, we have still got Venus. She is a lovely old dog, now 15, but still a puppy at heart. Tommy's ear seems OK, despite the hole in it from his fight.