Me and my side of the mattress . . . .

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 23. Jun 2013, 09:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
. . . . . were, this morning, yet again as one. This has happened more than once over the past three weeks and ergo more often than I like. 'im indoors is under tremendous strain work-wise, this has been the case for the past two months and we have another two to go. He is leaving the house at any time between 5.45 and 6.30am and not returning until 7.30ish in the evening. I feed him and then he's back at work on the laptop for another couple of hours or so. It's tough.

I wake when he gets up (BP pills being noisily removed from their foil :wink: ) and then, all being well, I drop back into a doze until he comes in to say good-bye. Lately, however, once he has left I fall deeply asleep only to wake up unable to move, unable to tell where I leave off and the mattress begins.

It's not a pleasant feeling. It takes about a quarter-of-an-hour or so before I begin to feel where one ends and the other begins, and a little longer before I can move. All I can conclude is that I am waking from the deep sleep phase, the sort where your body is 'paralysed' because the brain is doing summat else (in my case usually supplying some very weirdy dreams).

I don't like it. OK, I don't like a great deal of my life with arthritis but this is a distinctly discomforting event. Hey-ho.

If you have been, thank you for reading. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi DD,I wrote a long reply then deleted it as I thought that doesn't help one bit so I am sending huge but gentle hugs instead.(((((()))))) Mig
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    That sounds awful :( I've woken with the paralysis & that's weird enough but not a feeling like ure describing of being unable to separate where the mattress ends & you begin!!

Do you think the deeper sleep is related to worry/distress that ure hubby is working too many hours for his health? It's just I noticed you mentioned BP meds & worry can do some mighty strange things to us especially our sleep patterns.

I hope this works out for you asap DD. I hope his work tails off a bit soon so you can both relax.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    DD that is awful, I had a situation years ago when I woke up early hours of the morning felt very strange and discovered all I could move was my eyes, my mum stayed with me at the time, I tried to call out for her, even my vocal chords were paralysed. To cut a long story short it turned out it was a viral infection I had, it was the most petrifying thing that has ever happened to me, so what I am trying to say is be careful in case it might be some kind of infection, it might be worth getting it checked out.................tc............Marie ((())) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hello DD. Do hope you are feeling a little better today. I think maybe the others are right in thinking it may be caused by all the stress you have been and are under at present. Is there any possibility of you and your husband taking a short break? Am sure it would help you both if you could. Stress does extremely odd things to us which we don't always realise.

Take care. Beryl
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi DD
    Dear me what an awful experience
    Sounds a good idea to go have a weekend away or even a night somewhere to forget all the stresses and strains of life
    Stress can come out in many strange ways
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you my lovelies, this morning all was as usual viz pain, twanging and general discomfort and not the horrid 'dead weight' of limbs that don't feel like mine for some time after waking. We do need a new mattress but 'im indoors won't have it, his view being we have a bed, we have a mattress, job's a good 'un. I've given up trying to explain that mattresses need replacing every ten years or so (ours is thirteen years old) :roll:

I think the strain of life is telling on him - he woke me (and him) in the early hourse with a cross between a bark and a yell. :( I'm not sure who was the more unsettled. :? We would like some time away but we have two houses to sort, my Ma's probate to deal with, hospital appointments yadda yadda yadda. We'll be OK. :| DD
  • maria09
    Options
    Hey DD
    Just a thought when alls sorted go away for a while maybe somewhere you used to go with your parents for a trip down memory lane
    Maria
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hm, not good at all.

I can’t really relate to the ‘melting into the mattress’ thing though, when we had a full memory foam one, as opposed to the current sprung one with the top section in memory foam, I came pretty close.

I do know that my most disturbing and vivid dreams come when I've woken up and then drifted off again so I aim to get up, or at least stay awake, once I've woken up. However, I wake up around 7am, not 5.30am.

You both sound very stressed as well you might be. However, whatever his 'bloke faults', I know Mr DD is essentially a diamond geezer who, like Mr SW before him, will, with much encouragement, be persuaded that a bed is not for life and his wife's health could be dramatically (Oh go on :!: Be dramatic :wink: ) improved with a new one. Have a relaxing weekend together lying down in a few showrooms :D (Take a bottle and two glasses :lol: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • BonnGayle
    BonnGayle Member Posts: 26
    Options
    I get this feeling often in the winter months its dark outside Im awake but my body still thinks its asleep, on the Matress matter I rather like European beds ..you have a sprung wooden underlay like these (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/24827/) and mine you can move little sliders accross to change the support I then have a firm matress on the top its quite firm and took me some time to get used to it but now when I come back to England I have a sore back after 1 night!
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Dear DD;

I just got a new mattress a few months ago after spending several years on a too old, to uncomfortable relic. Mr Boomer did not think we needed a new one at all. So, I was desperate (and sneaky) and bought a new one behind his back, with my own money of course, and what a difference it has made!! He hasn't admitted it yet but I notice he's not tossing around as much either. It's so comfortable after the old one :D

I read your experience melting into your mattress. That does sound disturbing. I haven't had anything quite like that, although when my neuropathy was about to flare I would wake in the morning and my limbs would feel like they were made of lead. I had full sensation, though.

Hope it goes away soon.
    Anna
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    DD that does sound very unnerving...I have been in the in between mode many a time..not knowing if you are awake or still asleep..mind you I can do that in the day... :oops: hopefully Mr DD will be able to wind down very soon and hopefully things will improve..(((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • maria09
    Options
    DD how about putting lumpy things in his half of the mattress
    Or get a mattress topper for your half of the bed and leave him to suffer
    With all our aches and pains we need a comfortable mattress
    Keep at him DD wear him down
    You need comfort
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oooh, sneaky Maria, that's a plan worthy of DiabolicDamsel (as Dorcas used to call me). I don't think I could bear to do that, he is working so very hard at the moment (I work hard but in a very different way) that he deserves his comfiness. Once we get ourselves sorted viz the late mums' houses and our own then I will get myself an all-singing-all-dancing electric bed. He can remain in solitary splendour in his all-sagging-all-worn-out one! :lol: DD
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,935
    Options
    Hello DD
    I hope things improve for you both soon.
    ((((((((DD))))))))
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you my lovely, I am sure they will but we still have a little way to go yet. We'll get there, though, we've been through other trying times and things do improve, eventually.

I hope you and Sue are as well as you can be. DD