Pain in summer

Options
Christimay
Christimay Member Posts: 112
edited 21. Jun 2013, 14:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
The swelling in my hands and feet have actually been worse lately struggling to actually get something on my feet I know folk think the cold makes things worse so can someone please help with explaining, first summer on my own for 23 years and my mam wants to take me and the little two abroad but I'm scared I won't manage the heat and it floors me as I live in north Scotland I'm used to very little heat as it is, the last time I seen rhumi 4 weeks ago he wanted to up the metho but I said no take seven a week as it is they want me to take sulpha something now along with it which I've been prescribed would be grateful for any information on that drug please my feet just ache and ache just throbbing constantly some days my hands are so swollen and stiff they are useless, when my foot sweeps its so bad you can't even see my ankle and it just seems constantly like this sorry for going on and on but with separating with my husband after 23 years moving to new town bairns are at new school I am actually under no stress from that side of things now any advice anyone x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, you do sound as though you are struggling with this. From the sound of it your inflammation is not under control, probably because the meth dose is not high enough. What mg strength are your tablets?

I was first put onto sulphasalazine and that did nothing to ease my swelling, so tablet meth was added to the mix. This, however, was years ago and I have tried many meds and combinations of meds since then. What are the inflammatory markers in your bloods and how often do you have them done?

As regards going away I would say not: you have had some major changes in your life over the recent past and you don't need the extra worry of possibly not having an enjoyable time. Holidays are meant to be pleasurable, not a chore. I find my arthritises harder to cope with in heat and humidity, despite the meds I take, and it's tough in the cold too: there's no pleasing me! :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I find it's the humidity that causes me pain not the heat as dry heat in Gran Canaria is wonderful. We're all so different tho :?

I take 30mg Methotrexate weekly so I think uve got quite a lot of room to move ure dosage up as ure Rheumatologist recommended. If ure dose isn't high enough to help you yet why are you against raising it until it does? I think sulfasalazine's aim will be to help control the inflammation & disease. Mtx & sulfa can work hand in hand.

Best of luck with it all.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Christimay, Mine’s RA and I’ve always found heat worse than cold. I seem to wilt. It drains the energy from me. However, I’m with DebbieT in that I find the humidity is the main factor rather than the heat itself. I do think though that, if stuff’s bad right now, it wouldn’t be the best time to go away. I'm sure your Mum has the best of intentions but, unless people have actually experienced an auto-immune arthritis, they can't really grasp the full, exhausting picture. Why not wait until you’re a bit better able to cope with the upheaval of a holiday and then go when things are both quieter and cooler?

Why are you unwilling to take more meth? Seven a week isn’t a huge dose. It’s 17.5 mgs. I used to take 22.5 and my rheumatologist insisted we could go higher if necessary. I’ve not taken sulphasalazine but that and meth is a normal combination.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Christimay
    I have recently been abroad and boy I wish I could go back, I find the heat here really effects my joints...I did think it might have been the distraction of the holiday...but I have so many friends that say the same...so I agree with Debbie it could be down to the humidity..you see if you can get some help pain wise then let your mum book that holiday...I hope you get some relief very soon..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    We had a discussion her last year {I think} about cold affecting us and loads of people said the humidity was worse than the cold.
    I cant help you with the meth sorry...I've got OA but as far as heat is concerned I really wilt when it is too warm {nothing to do with the arthritis} just cant stand the heat. The cold really affects my arthritis ...and the damp

Love
    Hileena