My first anti-TNF

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 29. Jun 2013, 11:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
After a short period of stability, I've had a few really rough few months. I had a rheumatology appointment today and expected to get sent on my way to struggle on. However, the rheumatologist (not my usual one, she is off sick) saw I was in a bad way, I even needed help getting my jeans off to be examined and said my DAS was through the roof. I have to go back in 4 weeks to check my DAS score again but she reckons anti-TNFs are the next step. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the side effects but I can't go on like this. I already have joint erosions and I want to avoid any more. I feel hopeful that cimzia is going to be the drug for me. :D

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Firstly, I think this is a good thing because you have been struggling for so long now (and, as usual, not giving in to the demands of the disease). Surely it's time for more help from the meds and I hope you get it.

Secondly, side effects are not the big bad wolves we may think. Their listing is not a guarantee that they will happen and another thing to bear in mind is the monitoring which is part-and-parcel of the treatment. I have not been troubled too much by any when on anti TNFs but the monitoring proved its worth when things were going wrong with enbrel - I was in blissful ignorance because I felt no rougher than usual. :wink:

Sophie, this could be just the thing you need so please try them with a sunny heart - we'll be here to cheer you on. Good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    We all fret about side-effects with new meds, especially the big guns but you really have struggled quite heroically at times, Sophie, and it makes sense. I do very much hope it works for you. You so deserve it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I just wanted to say that I really hope that it's the start of some great times ahead. The best of luck.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello starburst
    I can understand your fears , but I am so glad the rheumatologist saw how bad you were ...I really do wish you well with the treatment, try and think of it has a new beginning....you take care x
    Love
    Barbara
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    good luck with the anti-tnf , I am on golimumab & not getting any side effects at all , not tried Cimzia but hope it goes well for you , alot of people are getting very good results with these drugs
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    I'm glad you didn't see your usual rheumy the one you saw sounds good
    I'm not on them yet but just a matter of time
    I hope you get on with it ok
    Maria
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Thank you for the lovely and kind words of support. I feel more focused about the next steps. I also got prescribed tramadol and had a nice, relatively low pain sleep last nighty, so feeling much happier.

I found a nice quote which I though some of you might like:

"I cannot do everything, but still I can do something and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." (Helen Keller)

Have a good weekend, everyone! x
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    Good luck :) x
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    In spite of the side effects, I would rather be on them than not. Not everyone gets side effects and lots of people do well on them. Best of luck.